X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu and Debian

Originally posted by kubicle
    The dash/bash semi-switch will certainly cause confusion (which debatably may or may not outweigh the potential benefits), but as far as scripts go, one should not use '#/bin/sh' (Bourne Shell compatible) in scripts that uses bash only elements (even though it works on systems that symlink /bin/sh to /bin/bash), for bash-only scripts you should use '#/bin/bash'...even on debian it's good scripting practice to use '#/bin/bash')
    Agreed -- #/bin/bash is certainly better programming practice. Unfortunately, everyone assumes bash these days -- i see plenty of scripts that use bash-specific features and still say #/bin/sh, good practice or not.
    Because of that, in my opinion (emphasis on opinion), it's not worth switching to dash, not just because of the script issue, but also just because bash is a perfectly wonderful shell, that I personally couldn't improve upon.

Upstart is fairly new, which is probably why you haven't heard of it. As for the change, it's about evolving software, I think upstart promises to be faster among other things (Upstart and the switch to upstart still seem to be a 'work-in-progress', though)
    I'm very philosophical with my software, forgive me if I drag on.
    I never had any problem with evolving software -- it's evolving software that produced the stable, excellent linux systems we have today (including Kubuntu!!). However, as with any evolution, features basic to the system really need to stay in tact (in real life, assuming the evolutionary theory is true, we notice the most basic life forms -- viruses and bacteria -- still exist, long after they would have otherwise evolved away. They must therefore be a mandatory piece of life, without which life couldn't exist).
    As precedent, I can cite the c compiler. There is gcc, the original cc, and multiple vendors also distribute cc's -- no matter who makes it, from the very start, there has been a basic set of features every c compiler must have, for example, -o for the output file name, -c for compile-only (no linking), and so on.
    I see inittab and other core system features the same way. I don't care if it's a Sys V init, some blow joe's Init, or upstart -- but whoever makes the software, basic features (such as the inittab) need to stay in place. Evolving software doesn't have to remove core features -- add to them!!
    There is another reason for this: standardization. Normally, being strictly standardized is a problem (i cite windows and all other microsoft software), but to some degree, for an administrator to be able to go to every distribution installed at whatever company and know that there will always be an inittab to check, and that they don't have to know about a gazillion different ways the system could start up -- that's a feature, not a bug.

Once again, a lot of this is opinions -- i'm sure somebody out there absolutely hates the inittab (or thinks there's a far better way of doing things), but until someone can point me to a major security hole with the inittab, i'd like to believe that this antique core feature of the system is just as sturdy today as it was 15 years ago.

the kde metapackages are in the universe repository, which you may need to enable to see them.
    Could be the problem....
    Next time I boot my desktop (which has kubuntu on it) i'll see if I enabled the univers repo (if not, it was one more id ten t error to add to my list... ).

Debian is a very good and stable distro for servers, but I don't see a clear reason to switch a desktop machine from kubuntu to debian, but that of course is a matter of opinion
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree
    I still use Kubuntu on my desktop, as it's the only distro that seems to be able to detect the basic hardware needed to boot the system, besides knoppix (which is strange, really, since I bought this system specifically because it *claimed* linux compatibility).
    However, having used both (and using both), my experience tells me debian is easier to administrate (though useage is basically the same), and seems closer to the "plain vanilla linux" that i've always known.

Comment

No one can write off the importance of debian in the FOSS world in general or the *buntu world. The main reason I am on kubuntu now is that debian has been having a rough time of it, which was giving me an even rougher time keeping debian on my box. I was running stable , testing and unstable briefly and then replaced my monitor. And found myself with a sarge system that could no longer configure a useable x among other things.

It is a lot harder at first to configure and very much a roll your own distro, which is both blessing and curse. And, as expected Etch still hasnt come out in a stable release two months after it s planned date of release.. With the inclusion of LTS releases, keeping to a release schedule and having a simple install, *buntus of all flavors have pulled ahead for the moment. IF the debian installer was ever as quick and painless as ubuntu i never would have left it. The nature of all the deb branches except stable (which still now is at 3.3 KDE ) is, there is always the chance that parts of your system may break during major shifts in the testing and unstable branch.

The ubuntu devs are here to keep a sometimes unstable debian variant as stable as is possilbe which has created a fork off of debian in a number of ways. I don't see the debian situation at present going on forever, and its been a rough year with changes in kde, xorg and many other vital apps. so it cant be laid on debians doorstep that there were times when installing debian during certian weeks either left you with an ancient stable installl or a semi broken testing/unstable. Ubuntu's mission statement set out to rectify these things. To the larget extent possible they have.

It isnt so much an inability to configure linux as an impatience in me personally for long drawn out installs complete with a useable desktop. I want to install as painlessly as possible. After that I have no problems having to configure and add pkgs to get the distro to work the way i want. Linux is about freedom of choice, and at the moment, kubuntu meets my choice list more closely. Last debian install on vmware gave me a gnome desktop only, because kde was in flux. Which prolly exlains why i keep slackware on the deskop.....it can be updated , the full install is rather quick and painless and i can configure nearly everything to my likely once its up.

Ideally? I need anther box to keep debian on. Kubuntu came thru on a very long and difficult travel assignment because it can be easily used and is quite simple just to install and get my work done. Now that im back home I'm thinking of finding another box, or clearing some disk space to be ready when etch comes out and remains, for a few months, less ancient than sarge. Then i can choose the testing branch to keep up with softwre advances. We make choices and choose the distro that best matches our choices. In that sense, the ubuntu team has given us a solid , extra choice on the linux market.

Distros that were great a year ago, like kanotix are now for all intensive purposes stalled, if not comatose. Unfortuntely but true. On both my machines it has been a nightmare to install and update and now the team has split and sidux won't even boot live. In its short history, ubuntu has provided a lot more stabilitiy , usablitily and up to date software than nearly every other deb based distro. Which is why its still on my laptop and helps me get work done on the road when other distros are going thru transplants and lengthy battles with software.

I can easily forsee runing both debian etch and drake in the near future. I tend to prefer roll your own distros, and they have promised an improved installer. I can forsee keeping a kubuntu box running for when i want all the comfy conveniences of a working automount, a five click install, an equal number of packages and the fact that many friends run some form of ubuntu , so i wont have to translate su to sudo and ack again depending on who i am talking to. I also think it would be intersting in the upcoming months to keep them both up and see how each chanes and develops and starts to feed off the other. They are, after all, relatives in the same family.

Comment

Personally, I found debian FAR easier to set up than kubuntu. Perhaps you've had a different experience; but from here, debian looks pretty good.

Etch, although perhaps long since having a new version, is like kubuntu in that the software packages update individually. The only real difference is that the distribution itself stays relatively the same for a long time, instead of updating more frequently.

The long rollover, in my opinion, is an advantage: lousy software is weeded out, and new software/current software has a more stable platform on which to debug and maintain.

Comment

I used Debian for awhile and I liked it. I got a Mac and used the Mac OS for a year or so before getting an HP nc6000 laptop. I thought I'd go back to Debian and I had a horrible time configuring it. Ubuntu detected most everything easily and I was up and running hassle free. apt-get install kubuntu-desktop had me back in kde-land. IMHO, Debian is great but you may have to spend a little more time tweaking things. With Kubuntu, I spent far less time tweaking and configuring things. In Kubuntu, I had no problems with suspend/resume, video card, wireless, and volume/mute buttons being mapped while these were all issues with Debian on the same machine. I realize that they're both similar under the hood but Kubuntu has a slightly better polish to it (again IMHO). Your mileage my vary.

Comment

I only started with Linux last October, so I have a recent and perhaps poorly-informed perspective on this discussion, but I think there's a missing element in it.

I am struck by how much the HARDWARE influences the "likeability" factor of one's Linux experience. In probably 50% of the threads on this forum, and over on Ubuntu Forums, you can observe that the very same distro and version produce the entire range of responses from "love it" to "it won't play here and this sucks". Folks who end up in a fight with their video or wireless hardware get frustrated pretty quickly, and those who get quickly to a graphical desktop are mostly happy campers right away.

Whatever Microsoft invested back in the 1990s in "plug 'n play" capability was, in retrospect, one of modern technology's most brilliant investment decisions. If we had that capability in Linux, it might present a serious challenge to the mainstream OS.

As for "pure" Debian, my single data point is elive. On my semi-complicated desktop hardware (there's that variable again!), it installed flawlessly first time, in contrast to Kubuntu which has to be fiddled and fudged with to get past the fact that I have mix 'n match SATA and IDE hard drives. Elive is far less developed than Kubuntu/KDE, but the Enlightenment desktop is interesting, Thunar is a nice file manager, and the little CD burner saved me when I broke K3b with Feisty Herd 4, so I'm hanging on to it.

Comment

UPDTATE: Debian is now coming out swinging with both fists with their new graphical install, and of course the sheer number of pkgs (so you dont have to add them) on a basic desktop install - including gnome and kde. Nice work and its still RC2....any day now, i expect to see a surge in debian etch downloads.

In spite of the pluses of ubuntu, i am a bit nervous about the difference in init file configuration on ubuntu.....given the number of pure debian books & docs i already have in my house.....but again, each serves its purpose well, and those purposes differ. If I go back to debian its because it is far more a power users distro and i like the DYI tinkering under the hood and rolling your own philosophy......and, as the previous post pointed out, not all my debian installs were difficult, but some were; which i blame on the time and choice of branch i was installing at the moment, and on which hardware.

Etch is looking very tempting these days tho......

Comment

I don't know how roll-your-own debian is. It's got a lot of tinkering in it's packages; which, is to be expected -- every distro has a few core packages; all the rest have to match (although, i'm slightly irritated with some of it's beurocracies. It's "firefox", not "iceweasle" -- beurocrats.. But even so, the installation process installs all the base packages just like every other distribution I've used.

IMHO, slackware would be a roll-your-own; or Linux From Scratch if you have the time. Things like lunar-linux i'd call a "tailored" distribution, but not really roll-your-own. Debian, not so much, it's got many defaults.

Certainly it's more on the advanced side for installation and configuration especially (although, my computer-illiterate mom (who called the I.T. dept. because she forgot to press "print" at the dialog) had no problem learning how to use a ready-configured debian system). At the same time, having used both, I find debian is more friendly to the administrator -- nothing is hidden behind the veils of a heavily-configured system, so the learning curve is a LOT less steep, even though you have to learn a bit more.

Anyway, this is just a sidenote. Don't let it distract the conversation .

Comment

Look where are today.
                  K/Ubuntu has come a long way.
                  Look at how many old windows user are using K/Ubuntu!
                  K/Ubuntu has done a lot the the Linux world.
                  More people are trying every day.

Hats off the the K/Ubuntu team, them are doing their best to make a GREAT product.
                  It is not for all people or PCs
                  microsoft is not for all people or PCs, if it was we would not be here talking about it.

Long live K/UbuntuI
                  I hope it lives longer the microsoft.

Have Fun learning

Comment

I sure like Kubuntu, but been toying with the idea of moving to Debian.

I'm pretty sure my computer can handle it ok - Compaq Presario, 3.2ghz clock speed, 2gb ram, ATI x600 graphics card, 400gb internal drive, 750gb usb external drive, usb card reader, several other usb ports, Gateway 22" monitor w/DVI input.

I like the idea of a conservative distribution, but also like the Kubuntu updates!

Then I wonder if I tar our /home directories to the external drive as backup before moving, once on Debian are we going to have trouble reading our data once I extract the tar file...

Any suggestions??
                    txWingMan

Comment

Originally posted by txHarleyMan
                      Any suggestions?
                      In short: don't do it you won't get happy, I daresay ...

I'd rather advice you to install "plain Debian" on a separate partition, take a (very) close look - and decide carefully.

For comparison: to client machines (read: home computers), I'm currently deploying (K)Ubuntu 07.10 beta 3 (!)
                      - while for my own server(s), Debian 4.0 Xfce is the only system to be considered.

Comment

Ah. Debian is more Server-centric, huh? From what I have read, it seems to be the one to go with on a server, but reviews have led me to believe Etch is very good for the desktop.

Yes, I would not blow away Kubuntu without kicking Etch's tires first.

Just out of curiousity UR, why do you say not to do it?
                        txWingMan

Comment

Just out of curiousity UR, why do you say not to do it?
                          Read my rants and you will get the idea but, to save you from that, here comes my (!) abstract:

Ubuntu is an extensively modified revision of Debian Linux - may it be for the better or the worse.

The "better" in this context: it's easier to handle, in particular for newbies (think of media players ...); the "worse": to achieve the former, by pre-set default, a lot of stuff gets installed as well as initiated which on a server is totally out of place, thus needlessly putting at stake this system's integrity (read: stability and security) ... Therefore, where simple handling is the crucial factor, I'd recommend Ubuntu; in favour of "efficient maintenance", Debian is the way to go.

Comment

Thanks, UR. I have been reading the Rants for a week or so now. A fine way with words, I must say!

A lil info about me -
                            I am a Sr Systems Analyst. Been doing development for 26 years now, the last 11 years on an IBM mainframe. Did a lil Unix Admin work ( SunOS ) about 15 years ago. The first 15 years were on mini's, Unix and client-server. Went to the mainframe cause I like the reliability and security.

So, I am computer literate. I installed Mandrake back in 1998 I believe ( dual boot ) but blew it away and ran windows 100% at home. Finally switched to Linux this past January and not looking back. It has matured since '98 and is a desktop contender now.

I really like the Kubuntu distro and will stick with it. Was just toying with the Debian thought as a replacement, but I have enough at work to contend with without bringing it home, too.
                            txWingMan

Comment

So, I am computer literate.
                              Ooops ... no more comment without lawyer, then

I really like the Kubuntu distro and will stick with it.
                              Was just toying with the Debian thought [...]
                              To make a compromise (similar to mine, that is), you could eliminate the worst "modifications", thus reverting to Debian "only" as far as this makes sense to you 8)

Comment

Well, mine and the wife's needs are moderate. Email, Internet, Music, Photo's and VMWare-Server. Need vmware to connect to my workplace using their vpn software. We dont run any servers for nada. And if I was the only one using the PC then a good challenge never hurt, but with a wife - need I say more??

However, if I get into the Linux development group, that could change real fast. Would probably have to get the wife her own computer.
                                txWingMan

Comment

Working...
                                X