X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rate KUBUNTU on 1-5 scale...

juz a simple users review on KUBUNTU?

so what do you think about KUBUNTU............
    1-best
    0%
    2-excellent
    0%
    3-good
    0%
    4-o.k.
    0%
    5-worse
    0%

Re: Rate KUBUNTU on 1-5 scale...

Why is this a multiple-choice poll...?
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
      Why is this a multiple-choice poll...?
      I don't see a multiple choice poll

fixed.
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I give it an excellent. Personally, I don't believe ANY distro is the "best". They're all good at different things, for different users, and different purposes. I'd have to say Mepis would top my favourites list, because it's what Kubuntu is after you spend a lot of time waiting for Automatix to do it's thing. But the latest RC3 still has some issues on my machine that Kubuntu does not ... so now I'm running Kubuntu, have tweaked it a bit, and once I can find an fglrx driver that works, I'll be a happy happy camper!!

Comment

Erk... I made a wrong vote... can a mod fix it? I voted 4 (ok) when I was really thinking about 2 (excellent). Can a mod change it, please? (The order of the choices is quite unconventional...)

As a Linux distro, I'd say Kubuntu is a great distro, one of the best (probably a 1 vote), largely because it comes from a great base, Ubuntu. Simplicity and cleanliness (compare it with KNOPPIX's, even MEPIS' defaults), commitment to the ideals of Free/Open Source Software (to some "debatable" extent), a great community, etc. These are the things that make Kubuntu a great distro for me.

However, as a KDE distro, I'd say that I have to give it an average vote (3, perhaps). For one, I don't think that it could be considered as a "pure" KDE distro, because there are some things that Kubuntu does/have that are actually based on what GNOME does/have. (I was supposed to make a "hot" thread on this, but some other time, perhaps). And when it comes to KDE innovation, I think Kubuntu lags behind compared to what I consider the big 3 in KDE distros: SUSE for RPM-based distros, KNOPPIX and MEPIS for DEB-based distros.

That's why I would give Kubuntu a grade of just 2, "excellent" (if I didn't screw up with the voting... )
          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Kubuntu is an excellent distro, for me pretty much everything I needed worked straight from initial install.

No problems with GRUB install (detected my windows install and setup loader perfectly).

Sound worked straight from first boot (once volume levels tweeked).

network card ok - minor issue with no network at startup though.

Very few updates to be applied after install

Ati driver install was a breeze

However does have a few minor issues.

Adept will sometimes not start on first select

Clicking the REMEMBER PASSWORD box on a "RUN AS ROOT" auth box does not work

Network not working correctly at boot time

That being said Kubuntu and Ubuntu are both very complete, very capable distros with great options to scale to your needs after installation.

Comment

i picked best because i think it is. awesome GUI awesome apps bundled great community. easy to install yet doesnt take away your patential power if needed. all in all a real simple clean powerful easy to use desktop

Comment

I chose excellent and not best since I haven't tried them all but from the few I've installed or used as Live, I think it is leading the pack.
                Love; joy; peace; patience; kindness; goodness; faithfulness; gentleness; self control

Comment

I choose excellent when compared to windoze. I don't use my laptop for gaming (have a PS2 for games). Like the ease of use and the fact that i download/install only what i want/need unlike in windoze. Forget about computer crashes and threat of malwares .a.k.a windows cost of computer ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Digita
                    I give it an excellent. Personally, I don't believe ANY distro is the "best". They're all good at different things, for different users, and different purposes. I'd have to say Mepis would top my favourites list, because it's what Kubuntu is after you spend a lot of time waiting for Automatix to do it's thing. But the latest RC3 still has some issues on my machine that Kubuntu does not ... so now I'm running Kubuntu, have tweaked it a bit, and once I can find an fglrx driver that works, I'll be a happy happy camper!!
                    I voted a 3 kubuntu still has a ways to go especially with edgy. Your comment about mepis is interesting the problem with mepis is you cant install it over more than one drive for example putting /home on hdb and /(root) on hda it all has to be on thew same disk but it can be spread over multiple partitions on that one disk. So during a hard drive failure your toast. Why are you not using mepis ?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfmaniac
                      juz a simple users review on KUBUNTU?

so what do you think about KUBUNTU............
                      Great distribution for beginners. However, once you try to do any advanced thing in kubuntu in the same way you'd do it in plain-vanilla debian (for example, modify boot settings), it becomes hastlesome.

Comment

voted excellent, running dual boot because I still like Rometotalwar but otherwise it has my full attention seeing that it acts as a protection towards my xp system which one really can't trust connected to the Internet these days unless one wishes to be combing through a hijackthis log that is, so I have the laptop running kubuntu and the desktop on dual boot, I still have not figured out my sound driver problem on the desktop(dell does not help)but the spell check is handy and I would like to know if there are any strategy games for kubuntu, even age of empires will do

every day is a gift

Comment

I voted best because it suits my needs best. May not be yours, but, in this context, I don't care about yours.
                          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Working...
                          X