X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAM and Disk Space to run XP virtually?

Here's the deal:
    I'm currently dual booting Kubuntu Breezy and Windows XP. I mainly use Kubuntu, but my sister uses nothing but XP. Once in a while, I also pop into my XP install to play some online games and use some apps that either have no Linux ports or can't be run through WINE.

The thing is, I hate to have to reboot every time I need to do something in XP. As much as possible, I want to stay within Linux. So the question is:

How much RAM and disk space do I need in order to run XP smoothly and still play these online games? Will 512MB RAM and a partition of 10GB be enough?

My current processor speed, btw, is 1.5GHz (AMD Sempron 2200). I also currently have 256MB RAM from two sticks (128 + 128). I'm planning to buy a 512MB stick and put it in with a 128MB stick (I only have 2 slots for RAM), making a total of 640MB. The game's minimum memory requirement is just 258MB and 800MHz.

And finally, which virtual emulator (is that what they call it) do you recommend? VMWare? Qemu? something else?

Thanks!!
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: RAM and Disk Space to run XP virtually?

I think you'll have to check the emulators' home pages to determine their minimum requirements for running XP. Personally, I suspect you're pushing it without the extra RAM. As to disk space, I don't think XP is going to grow just because it's running in an emulator., so the only extra disk space you need will be that taken up by the emulator.

Comment

Working...
    X