Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some KDE/Kubuntu What's, Why's, and How's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some KDE/Kubuntu What's, Why's, and How's?

Ok, this thread will probably be more of a rant. There are basically some things in KDE and Kubuntu that I don't understand but want to understand. Some are questions about design decisions. Some are probably better asked to devs. But seeing that there's actually little way to ask these to KDE/Kubuntu devs directly (that and most of these questions might be too newbish for them to waste their time on), I just thought I'd post them here, hoping that someone might have an answer/idea. (Note: Though it's more of ranting, it's inquisitive ranting. I'm not sure if this should be in the Off-topic, because I'm almost ranting, or in the Everything Else, because these are almost uncategorizable questions about Kubuntu/KDE. But I'm posting it in the off-topic anyway)

BIG WARNING: There are some things here that might be a bit sensitive, as it will/might touch on some KDE-GNOME comparisons. Let me just make it clear that I have absolutely no intention whatsoever to criticize GNOME, but in fact, ask these questions in order to deepen my understanding about the similarities and differences between the two.

Without further ado:

1. Kubuntu: Adept. For one, I wonder why Adept is separated into two parts in Breezy, and now in 3 parts in Dapper: Adept Package Manager, Adept Updater, and Adept Installer. I see the similarities of the Adept Installer to the GNOME Add/Remove Applications. I just wonder why they made it so. I'm not even sure if a separate Add/Remove Application makes things much easier. What's the difference between a Synaptic/Adept and Add Remove Applications/Adept Installer?

2. Kubuntu: Adept (again): It's one of Kubuntu's claims that Adept is "user-friendly". But I don't find it so. And, judging by the unfortunate experiences of others, it has a long way to go in the fields of usability. First of all, the interface is a bit of a nightmare. Although I find that searching through the Quick Filter is a bit easier than searching in Synaptic, that is the only other easy thing I find in Adept (The other easy thing is customizable toolbars). The Tags concept are barely understandable. And the latest version of Adept in Dapper adds to the already confusing interface. Add that to the fact that you have 3 Adepts to use, when actually they could all be done in one (I don't know about Adept Installer though. Someone give me a quick lecture on GNOME's Add/Remove Applications). Rather than being "easy to use", I find Adept to be something that only experts would learn to love.

3. Kubuntu: System Settings: for reasons I've stated in my other thread, I have expected Kubuntu devs to have done better with this, even if they only made it look a bit better. Of course, the fact that it doesn't look like XP's control panel (or does it?) is a plus. But it looks to plain, that even KControl's tree-view looks more exciting to me.

3. KDE: Desktop Integration: KDE and KDE apps have been said to be too integrated. GNOME is said to be more modular (does this mean, not too integrated?) Yet in some ways, Nautilus is "integrated" into the desktop to the point that it "draws" the desktop. Microsoft is also said to have integrated Internet Explorer into the desktop, so much that it compromises security. But Konqueror seemingly is integrated into the desktop, too. Also, both Internet/Windows Explorer and Konqueror act as both file manager and web browser. So is Konqueror guilty of the same sins of Internet Explorer (at least when it comes to being integrated?). What do you mean by "desktop integration" anyway? It seems that KDE and GNOME (and MS) interpret and implement it quite differently. Is KDE really not modular? Are KDE apps really integrated too much?

Here's my take on KDE's integration. This is the view point of a 4-month old Kubuntu user. As such, I don't know if it is valid or true. Anyway, I don't see KDE as too integrated, nor do I see Konqueror as actually integrated into the desktop. I think that the integration in KDE comes not from the apps but from a deeper level. specifically from 3 KDE components: KParts, kioslaves, and dcop, probably KParts most important of all. It allows Konqueror to do almost anything (is this a good thing actually?). It also allows KDE apps to have access to functions of other apps. But I think (again, not from a dev/programmer point of view) that you when Konqueror uses the Kate KPart, it doesn't actually call Kate. So there's actually no integration between Konqueror and Kate, except when Konqueror really calls and opens up Kate. So it seems that KDE integration comes from KParts (and the other 2 components), which is layered above the kernel but below the apps. I doubt that Konqueror can function well as either browser (it uses the KHTML Kpart) or file manager if KParts were removed.

But does this make KDE non-modular? What does modularity mean in desktop environments, and why is it that people say that GNOME is more modular? And how is GNOME implementing desktop integration?

4. KDE: "Drawing" the desktop: This is one of the strangest things I've encountered with GNOME. But one of the reasons that was presented to me was actually a bit logical. Here's the thread that has a discussion/argument about this and about question number 3 (Destkop integration). I guess it's common knowledge that when GNOME loads, it also loads it's file manager Nautilus. And if Nautilus crashes, it takes down the whole desktop (I've heard). When I asked GNOME users why Nautilus is loaded on startup, they said it's because Nautilus "draws" the desktop (they really should get a better term). When I asked what that means, it became apparent that Nautilus is responsible for actually managing the desktop, and the icons on the desktop. (No wonder the option to change resolutions is not actually on the desktop options). So meaning, no nautilus at startup, no desktop icons, too. Now I asked again why was Nautilus handling the desktop and it's settings, I was told that it's because the desktop is just one folder in the file system, and that you could think of the desktop as one large Nautilus window displaying the desktop folder. Actually, it sounds logical doesn't it? Now, I was left wondering why KDE didn't do it like this, too.

5. KDE: Networking/Internet/DSL: (Note: I have very little, if almost none, knowledge about networking and stuff, so my views might be incorrect or incomplete). I have an ADSL connection with a modem/router (if that's what you call the box that's connected to the PC through the ethernet card). I forgot where I got the advice, but I read that I needed to type "sudo pppoeconf" and to choose the to get the DSL running. Well, it did, and because it worked well, I didn't bother learning about stuff like networking, eth0, DHCP, wireless, wifi, etc. But I noticed that people who have ADSL connectionsand routers/modems ask questions, and rarely, almost never, do I see someone say to do sudo pppoeconf. But this led me to wonder about how KDE (and maybe GNOME, too) handles networks and internet connections. Forgive me if I compare things to Windows a bit, but I don't think that anyone can deny that it's a breeze to setup an internet connection in XP.

One thing I'm wondering is why KDE doesn't have a GUI for PPPoE setup? There's KPPP for dial-up. There's something like this in Knoppix, but I'm not sure what the name of the app is. Also, why does KDE handle eth0 in a weird way? I have an active internet connection, but my eth0 is disabled. And this is one of the things that baffles new comers. No matter how much they try to enable eth0, it always reverts to disabled status. Is this a bug? or is this how KDE really behaves? Is there also no way to activate the DSL connection in KDE except through the pppoeconf command? (There might be a way I don't know. I've never asked because my internet worked perfectly, and I guess it also helped that my eth0 was also detected perfectly).

Off-topic: can anyone point me to an easy-to-understand article/tutorial/guide networking/internet, ADSL, and Linux networking/internet? One thing that baffles me about my DSL is that it's not static (We're not given specific IP Addresses), but not DHCP either (if DHCP is chosen in my /etc/network/interfaces, it takes almost half a minute trying to detect the connecction). So I set it to manual. I don't understand it, though, since most network options either have DHCP or Static.

6. KDE: Theme Manager: why is the theme manager implemented in such a way that you need to have the necessary icons/windecos/styles installed for it to work? Is it not possible to implement it in such a way that a .kth would come with the icons/windeco/style included? Of course, presuming that you have the proper windeco engine (dekorator, crystal, icewm) installed. One of the criticisms of KDE is that it's hard to customize the Look and Feel. Taking each separate Appearance and Theme module, it's not really hard. But when you take them all together, it's quite cumbersome. And Theme Manager doesn't really help that much.

7. KDE/Kubuntu: Is there a place where we can post questions like this and have a probability of someone involved in KDE/Kubuntu development answer? How do we send suggestions or complaints about certain apps? Of course, devs are busy and would probably want to spend more of their time developing rather than answering questions. But maybe someone else from the dev team, or someone close enough to know it?

I guess that's all I have for now (I forgot some other things. ). And this is more than enough to ignite a flame war (which is not my intention). That's why I posted this here, and not on the other side. I think I already got GNOME's side. (I think I've actually had enough "discussions" with a certain someone over there to last me a whole month ). Now I want to hear the KDE story. What are your thoughts?
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Some KDE/Kubuntu What's, Why's, and How's?

Originally posted by Jucato
    2. Kubuntu: Adept (again): It's one of Kubuntu's claims that Adept is "user-friendly". But I don't find it so. And, judging by the unfortunate experiences of others, it has a long way to go in the fields of usability.
    Agreed. I think they meant that it's point-and-click and a KDE application. I think they're better off using Synaptic Package Manager, even though it's a Gnome application, but the developers obviously disagree.

3. Kubuntu: System Settings: for reasons I've stated in my other thread, I have expected Kubuntu devs to have done better with this, even if they only made it look a bit better. Of course, the fact that it doesn't look like XP's control panel (or does it?) is a plus. But it looks to plain, that even KControl's tree-view looks more exciting to me.
    The interface is modeled after Mac OS X's System Preferences window, but I find the KControl tree-view easier to use, since there are so many options. The good thing is that KControl is available in the vanilla Kubuntu install--it just has no icon. So you can Alt-F2
    Code:
    kcontrol
    Also, both Internet/Windows Explorer and Konqueror act as both file manager and web browser. So is Konqueror guilty of the same sins of Internet Explorer (at least when it comes to being integrated?).
    The problem, from a security standpoint, with Internet Explorer's "integration" is its being tied into the operating system itself (not the desktop), so that you have to use Internet Explorer to install updates to the operating system. Having the same application that browses the web also update your operating system isn't a good idea, especially since some random websites make good use of ActiveX, the very tool Microsoft Windows Updates uses to update the system.

6. KDE: Theme Manager: why is the theme manager implemented in such a way that you need to have the necessary icons/windecos/styles installed for it to work? Is it not possible to implement it in such a way that a .kth would come with the icons/windeco/style included? Of course, presuming that you have the proper windeco engine (dekorator, crystal, icewm) installed.
    In my experience, it's up to the .kth theme maintainer. Some of the .kth themes draw on existing themes and just tweak them a certain way. Other .kth themes include everything you need. When it comes to themes, icons, etc., the quality is always a hit or miss, as just about anyone can package a theme. Hell, I had a KDE icon theme that totally crashed my Konqueror.

7. KDE/Kubuntu: Is there a place where we can post questions like this and have a probability of someone involved in KDE/Kubuntu development answer? How do we send suggestions or complaints about certain apps? Of course, devs are busy and would probably want to spend more of their time developing rather than answering questions. But maybe someone else from the dev team, or someone close enough to know it?
    As far as I know, this is the venue for that:

https://launchpad.net/malone
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

My $0.02:
      1) and 2) Ugh Synaptic-GOOD, Adept-BAD. It may be that I've been using Debian too long, but I find Synaptic to be easy to understand and Adept, anything but. Start Adept and you're faced with far more check boxes than anyone should have to face at once. I'm surprised it doesn't send newbies scurrying back to the dark side before they ever have a chance to find this site. Using Adept has got to be Mark Shuttleworth's worst decision of all time.

3) I actually like System Settings. It's one of the changes in Kubuntu that were made specifically to improve usability for new users.

3') I'm not sure it is a good thing. I've been using KDE since KDE 2 was so far ahead of Gnome in usability that it wasn't even close. Through all that time, I've been bothered by Konq's feeping creaturism. Make a good file manager, then make a good browser. Yes, Konq offers ten times the drag-and-drop utility of windoze, but I'm an old CLI user (empahasis on old). I prefer the original Unix doctrine, Make a tool that does one thing and does it well.

4) Actually the problem(?) with Ubuntu and (maybe) Kubuntu, I'm not sure, is the fact that they use the Mozilla Gecko rendering engine to draw the desktop and damn near everything else. Way back when, Nautilus was the only program in gnome that I actually liked, but they've been going down hill ever since. That's why we don't have FF 1.5 in Breezy. I know it can be installed, but one must keep FF 1.0.7, as well.

5) There's a lot of literature on Linux Networking. If you really want to undserstand it, (which, I don't understand it,that is) read a book or two. In regard to ADSL, I think you have your ISP to blame. My suggestion would be to get an ethernet to ADSL switch/router to connect to your ADSL modem, and separate the questions. Ethernet is easy, and you let Cisco (formerly Linksys) or DLink solve the ADSL to Ethernet problem.

6)No Comment: Themes? What themes? One of the things that I actually liked about Mandrake was the fact that it came with about half a dozen themes, set up out of the box.

7) Isn't Malone just a bug-tracker? Is there somewhere that users can communicate with developers? One of the main reasons that I've switched to Kubuntu is tha fact that it is much more user oriented than Debian, but I guess all those Debian Developers at Ubuntu aren't THAT user-friendly yet.

Comment

Well, some of my thoughts again.

1. KDE front-end package managers are one of the things that disappoint me in KDE.
        Let me start with Kynaptic. It's just not there. It's presence if barely felt, probably because it can barely do anything.
        Then there's KPackage. Almost good enough. You can install downloaded .deb files using it, has a nice tree view. You can open KPackage without root privileges if you just wanted to browse through the packages, and it will only ask you for the password once you try to apply the changes. Downside: it's very heavy and resource intensive in Debian-based distros. Browsing through the bug reports, this has been voted for but never been addressed. Also, it lacks the History/Changelog feature that Synaptic has. Something IMHO that every package manager should have so that you don't have to go scurrying to /var/log/dpkg-log.
        Adept: I'm pretty much disappointed with this one, especially after reading a bug/wish report asking for "more obtrusive" indicator of changes, just like what Synaptic or apt-get has. It seems that the developer didn't want to implement this, because he found it to be annoying. Here's the bug report. In the end, he agrees to implement something, but I guess that was about the Preview Changes icon. I thought he should know better about not implementing a certain feature because he didn't like it or found it counter-productive. Of course, he's a dev, and is expected to know what he's doing. But judging from users' reactions, not everybody does.

2. System Settings: maybe I can grow to like it. Just looks a bit... plain, unexciting to me. That, and the fact that it's missing some modules that are present in KControl (at least based on this list that I made): Samba, OBEX, Privacy, Spell Checker, Theme Manager, and the whole Konqueror file manager/web browser settings. I can understand that the Konqueror and Spell Checker settings can be found under Konqueror, but isn't a control center supposed to be the "center" of system-related configurations?
        Also, could they have made it look a bit more appealing? something like this from Ark Linux. Granted it looks a bit like XP's control panel, but I'm sure they're creative enough to think of a different design (or probably different name, too.) Also, I'm not sure if the "Administrator Mode" button being hidden problem has been solved in KDE 3.5.1. If not, KControl is the best way to let you scroll down.
        Btw, is there a screenshot of the OS X System Preferences that I could compare System Settings to?
        NOTE: In another post, Nirvana reminded me that the Settings:/ kioslave exists to let you access the same KControl modules in Konqueror. Slipped my mind.

3. Thanks for the short IE lecture aysiu. Now at least I understand the big difference between Konqueror and IE when it comes to desktop integration and security. I don't know why some think that Konqueror as a web browser is a security risk to the system. Can anyone care to explain? I'll link the thread discussion near the bottom of this post.

4. KTH.. KTH... *sigh*. I don't mind having to tweak individual settings one by one, but others might find it cumbersome. Also, I just noticed that there isn't a way to "save" the Theme that you made. The only options are install, remove, and create new. In order to save changes that you made, for example to a My Theme that you made before, you would have to either remove that old one and create a new one, or simply create a new one with a different name.

5. Actually I don't have a problem with my internet connection. I just wanted to know why KDE acts like that when trying to enable eth0, even when I'm connected to the internet already. Also, I just wanted to know about networking, internet, network cards, and how they all tie in to KDE. (yeah, I'm a geek )

6. I'm not sure about Malone, but I've recently discovered that bugs.kde.org is the place to post bugs AND wish lists.

7. Another one of my KDE gripes: KOffice. It has prided itself to have been there before OO.o was. But now it lags behind, especially in ODF support. ODF Support was only implemented in KOffice 1.5 beta, and as such, it's not yet playing nice, at least from my system. ODS (spreadsheets) files I made in KSpread don't display/format properly in OO.o Calc, and sometimes vice-versa. Images from ODT files sometimes don't display at all in KWord. And KOffice is the only KDE app/group of apps (with the exception of Krita) that doesn't have a Fullscreen mode (you'd have to use the fullscreen mode of KWin).

8. Last but not the least. There's currently a discussion going on the "other side" (probably soon to become a flame war) about splitting Konqueror up into separate web browser and file manager. Although I personally wouldn't like to do so, I'm open to what the devs will decide. What are some of the reasons?
        Well there was someone who commented that having Konqueror act both as browser and file manager is a security risk and linked to this article. I don't buy it because the same type of security flaws are also present in Firefox as well. And Firefox doesn't act as a file manager.
        Some don't want a "swiss army knife" type of app, they want a separate web browser/file manager (and it seems, in this blog entry, the founder of the KDE Project seems to think so too.) After reading the section in the blog about File Manager, it sounded too GNOMEish to me. I'm not bashing GNOME. I'm just saying that it's beginning to sound un-KDE. There were design decision that separated KDE and GNOME, and this is one of them. I just think it would be better to keep KDE's identity. But of course, if splitting Konqueror up into pieces means better productivity, then they should go ahead.
        Here's my take on why Konqueror, as a file manager, should/can act also as a web browser. Isn't it Unix/Unix-based systems' philosophy that everything is a file, from drivers, to hardware, etc? Then, logically, the internet/web pages are also files. So if web pages are files as well, and the internet is one huge file system, shouldn't it be only logical that a file manager be able to "manage" them? The fact that everything is a file is made more evident by the kioslaves.
        But I do admit that Konqueror, in itself, is a bit bulky or bloated. That's why I'm looking forward to KDE 4, where it was promised that things would slim down thanks to Qt4.

There you have it again, some more thoughts... I really should be making a blog...
        Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

I agree about 90% with the head of KDE, which good thing because, he's the guy who's deciding what we, the suck.um users are going to get. Yes, everything is a file, but there are different types of files and I don't neccessarily want to use the same application for all types. In Kcontrol, you can select what component you use for different types of files, but Konq doesn't always honor that.

I'm a strong believer in the old unix style of one function for one program, but do it really well and make it easy to tie programs together.

Comment

1. and 2. I find Adept to be atrocious. I'm replacing it with Synaptic until they improve it.

3. I always use KControl no matter what. I find it better looking, more efficient, and faster. I think a lot of people do the same as me, too. I always replace the system settings entry in the kmenu with a kcontrol launcher.

3. I agree with your assumptions and would also like to hear what someone more learned has to say about it.

4. No idea, same as #3

5. Again, no Idea. I don't know much about the commands and programs involved.

6. I don't use theme manager because I feel the need to micromanage and set all the little options and settings myself, one by one. I doubt I'd ever use it. I can see that it's good for people who want a very solid, consistent, all-encompassing theme. I noticed that a whole lot of people like to make their Linux desktop dark, with lots of black in the color-scheme.

7. There is an IRC channel where the devs hang out. Also a mailing list. I'm pretty sure anyone can talk to the devs in the IRC channel, but I'm not sure who can use the mailinglist. I'm subscribed to the mailinglist, but I'm not sure If non-devs can post to it.

Comment

Almost finished reading the comments on that blog entry. They're a mouthful! Not to mention conflicting views. If there's one thing I seem to like about the GNOME community is that it "seems" (at least to me) that their of one mind (at least in implementing the KISS principle).

Btw, Ettrich is not the head of KDE dev. He started the project, but is by no means the head dev. Actually, this is something that has been criticized about KDE, I think. There's no one man that dictates/heads the whole development, but rather a core dev team (I think). I'm not actually familiar with how things work, but I've been hearing about that nature of KDE dev for some time. Also, note the date of the entry. August 8, 2005. I'm sure there have already been more discussions about it and probably resolutions. I'm beginning to think the OP of the thread in the ubuntuforums was probably using it as flamebait.
              Also, you don't use the same application for all types. You "preview"/embed them in Konqueror. But if you want to work on them/edit them, you'd have to launch the separate app for that. Which is why I don't understand why people say that Konqueror does everything. It can display text files, pictures, etc. But it can't edit them and the things you can do with them is very limited.

And except for web browsing/HTML rendering, I think Konqueror is doing it's job very well.

@nrwik: mailing lists have always scared me. they seem more geek/techy-oriented compared to forums. And so I stay away usually. Are they newbie-safe?
              I'm not sure about IRC though. I forgot my IRC basics, like how to register, etc. I was brought up using mIRC

EDIT: Just found this blog entry from another KDE dev, just to show another side of the Konqueror split opinion.
              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

2.I find adapt quick filter easier then synaptic, the other option i almost never use.

3. Always using kcontrol because i find it easier to use and it gives me more options.

6. If it worked correct then everything should be packed in the kth file, but i never have seen a kth file where all option where in, also i couldn't create one with example icons in it.
                Theme-manager must be much better and easier then this.

I love the way konqueror is, the browsing part is one of the things i'm devided in.  I think it's the job of a file manager to show the content of file but to edit its the job of a other program. I'm almost not using the other options like ftp man ssh etc because i'm only just a few months old in linux but it isn't in the way also. So i'm happy how konqueror is and maybe later on i use the other options to. Why have thousand of diverent programs if kpart solves it for you.

Comment

Working...
                X