This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwangju Becomes Linux City

I was surprised that South Korea would be the first to implement this (or maybe another country has but I haven't heard of it), or that they were this serious with open source.

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...7045611780.htm

Imagine a whole city run on Linux and open source, and soon a University, too.

I guess the whole FLOSS community should be observing this development.
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Kwangju Becomes Linux City

I got a 404 on the link you posted, but I still think it's great that the South Koreans, at least, think enough of Linux to realize that it's the way to go. I wonder who will be next. Probably another So.Korean city.

Comment

Fixed the link. sorry about that.
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Thanks, intereting article. I used to think that the developing nations would be the first to switch over to Linux. Then I read an interview with the developer of an Iranian Linux distro. He said the biggest obstacle to Linux acceptance there is that pirated copies of windows are so cheap that he can't get anyone to use Linux.

Another plot by Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer?

Comment

Yeah, pirated Windows XP installers are cheap here (Philippines), too.
          That is one reason (the other is that most MMOG's or Massive Multiplayer Online Games run only on Windows) that makes it hard for people here to shift to Open Source. In this country, we're still living in the "Linux for geeks" era.

I was actually surprised to read this two. The last thing I heard about SoKor and Open Source was when there was an article regarding the cloning scandal. In that article, it was mentioned that it was the open source type of mentality/system (source is open for everyone to see and scrutinize) that lead to the discovery of the fraud.

I guess SoKor is one step ahead of Mass. in implementing Open Source stuff. Mass. is only concerned with ODF. But SoKor goes Linux all the way. I hope that they will be successful as this will be a great blow against Microsoft's arguments against Open Source.

Interestingly, if I remember correctly, SoKor is one of the countries where Microsoft lost an anti-trust suit, similar to the EU case. That is, if I remember correctly.

I hope Japan goes next. With it's technology and business ethics (at least it's better compared to some companies), it might be a good breeding ground for Open Source and Linux.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

interesting..

but some problems:

lots of people in korea play MMO's
            most of those mmo's
            need windows

so that could be a obstacle(if they dont buy cedega,or use wine)

Comment

Well, not really a big problem, at least for now.

The major concern of this project, I believe, is to have a transition from Windows to Linux in government institutions of that city, not necessarily for private use. Nevertheless, if all goes well, we might see private and corporate institutions joining in. Once that happens, we might start to see the porting or creation of Linux-compatible MMOG's from Korea, which IMHO is one of the largest producers of this genre.

Also, the problem of incompatibility between Linux and Korean MMOG's do not actually come from the MMOG's themselves, but rather from an anti-hacking software called nProtect GameGuard. The games themselves, however, can be played through Wine/Cedega, even if they require DirectX. I've tested this myself by successfully installing and running a "hacked" Ragnarok Online version, which does not have a GameGuard.

When local game handlers here were asked whether they would port or make some hacks of these games to be playable in Linux, they said that the producers of the game (Koreans) were not that interested in doing so, since the user base of Linux there is not yet that substantial, I believe.

Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                Well, not really a big problem, at least for now.

The major concern of this project, I believe, is to have a transition from Windows to Linux in government institutions of that city, not necessarily for private use. Nevertheless, if all goes well, we might see private and corporate institutions joining in. Once that happens, we might start to see the porting or creation of Linux-compatible MMOG's from Korea, which IMHO is one of the largest producers of this genre.

Also, the problem of incompatibility between Linux and Korean MMOG's do not actually come from the MMOG's themselves, but rather from an anti-hacking software called nProtect GameGuard. The games themselves, however, can be played through Wine/Cedega, even if they require DirectX. I've tested this myself by successfully installing and running a "hacked" Ragnarok Online version, which does not have a GameGuard.

When local game handlers here were asked whether they would port or make some hacks of these games to be playable in Linux, they said that the producers of the game (Koreans) were not that interested in doing so, since the user base of Linux there is not yet that substantial, I believe.

so you cant run Gameguard with Cedega/Wine?
                damn,i wanted to try to run silkroad online(International version) with wine or cedega

Comment

No I don't think so. If you could find a hack, however, that lets you bypass GameGuard, it's possible. However, I believe that will be against the rules of the game company.

But does Silkroad Online use GameGuard? One Korean based MMOG I know doesn't have GameGuard (Tantra Online), but I still have problems running it in Wine. Haven't tried using Cedega CVS yet, though.
                  Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                    No I don't think so. If you could find a hack, however, that lets you bypass GameGuard, it's possible. However, I believe that will be against the rules of the game company.

But does Silkroad Online use GameGuard? One Korean based MMOG I know doesn't have GameGuard (Tantra Online), but I still have problems running it in Wine. Haven't tried using Cedega CVS yet, though.
                    yes Silkoad uses Gameguard

but i will download cedega (torrent)
                    and will check if it works

Comment

Working...
                    X