Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, this is where all the Kubuntu posts are going.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, this is where all the Kubuntu posts are going.

I've been wondering why the Kubuntu section at ubuntuforums.org has been relatively quiet. I guess I've found the answer.

Why the seperate fora? Is there some problem I don't know about with the Kubuntu section at the other ubuntuforums.org?

To think, I've been out of the loop this whole time!

At least I'm here now, and It'll be ok.

Hi, all!

Re: So, this is where all the Kubuntu posts are going.

Hi nrwik!

No this is not where all Kubuntu posts are going. In general, Kubuntu posts have really been a bit scarce. But judging from my RSS feeds and checking back here once every hour (eek!) I'd say the amount of activity is almost the same.

Why a separate forum? I guess Open Source is the guy to ask. He started it all, I think. If I remember correctly, I asked the same question months ago, and he answered that it was about Ubuntuforums being down a lot, so he made an alternative place to seek/give answers.

So what do you think about this place? It's far from being complete and as busy as Ubuntuforums (but that's natural. Kubuntuforums mainly just deals with Kubuntu, anyway). Btw, aysiu's here, too!
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Fenyx
      Hi nrwik!

No this is not where all Kubuntu posts are going. In general, Kubuntu posts have really been a bit scarce. But judging from my RSS feeds and checking back here once every hour (eek!) I'd say the amount of activity is almost the same.

Why a separate forum? I guess Open Source is the guy to ask. He started it all, I think. If I remember correctly, I asked the same question months ago, and he answered that it was about Ubuntuforums being down a lot, so he made an alternative place to seek/give answers.

So what do you think about this place? It's far from being complete and as busy as Ubuntuforums (but that's natural. Kubuntuforums mainly just deals with Kubuntu, anyway). Btw, aysiu's here, too!
      It seems to be pretty good as far as fora go. If it provides more Kubuntu support, then I'm all for it. I don't mind much about visiting more than one forum anyway. I already visit about five, one more can't hurt too much.

Thanks for the nice-looking forum, Open Source!

Comment

Thanks for joining, and I am glad you like the forums. There have been quite a few questions about why these forums exist and you can see the answers in Site Improvement section. The main reason is just to give a place for shy people to post since ubuntuforums can be scary due to its large size. It also gives Kubuntu a good base for support if the two distros slowly grow apart in the future. And thirdly, I was sick of my searches not going through on Ubuntuforums. They would just time out, which is understanble since they have such a populated site. Thanks for coming and please enjoy your time here. Please note their are no hard feelings between the ubuntu/kubuntuforums, we are just another helpful site for the typical kubuntu user.

Comment

Originally posted by Open Source
          The main reason is just to give a place for shy people to post since ubuntuforums can be scary due to its large size.
          AMEN. it's too crowded. We're like a little village here, and UbuntuForums.org is like a full blown city.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I'm beginning to agree. Ubuntuforums is down again, I think. I thought it was already going well over there. I'm also beginning to see how so much people is an invitation for a bit of trouble.

But then, even if you decide to live in the village, you would still need to go to the city to get some stuff.
            Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Well, I agree too. Even though I haven't seen any really big disputes or flame-wars over there. I was a bit shy when I first started. But, I think I'm that way when I start new on any forum. :P

I hope more people come to use Kubuntu so that it levels out at about 50/50. I'm tired of the people who assume everyone is running Gnome. Isn't KDE more popular on the whole right now? I guess it's for a reason, but I'm used to being in the minority. I guess I am within the ubuntu community, though!

Comment

Well, not really major flame wars. But some not so nice things have been said. The references are quite scattered, so I won't bother linking to them. Besides, that would only fan the flames.

We need more knowledgeable people here, though. Not only in Kubuntu-specific stuff, but on Linux as a whole. Most of the "experts" over at ubuntuforums are mostly GNOME users. It would be nice if we had our own "experts".
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

When these forums started up, I, too, thought "Why? Won't this splinter the community?"

It's been many months, and I've seen no adverse effects on the Ubuntu community or the Ubuntu Forums.

It's just another resource and a place for new Kubuntu users to go.

A few pluses to this over Ubuntu Forums:

1. It's dedicated to KDE, so no one's going to say, "Oh, just sudo gedit /etc/fstab" or "Just go to System > Preferences > Themes."

2. The flame wars, trolls, and general obnoxiousness that sometimes takes over in the Ubuntu Forums haven't happened here yet. I find it surprising, actually, that they haven't.

3. The Ubuntu Forums are constantly being upgraded by the staff (or attacked by whomever), and so they're down frequently.
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
                    When these forums started up, I, too, thought "Why? Won't this splinter the community?"

It's been many months, and I've seen no adverse effects on the Ubuntu community or the Ubuntu Forums.

It's just another resource and a place for new Kubuntu users to go.

A few pluses to this over Ubuntu Forums:

1. It's dedicated to KDE, so no one's going to say, "Oh, just sudo gedit /etc/fstab" or "Just go to System > Preferences > Themes."

2. The flame wars, trolls, and general obnoxiousness that sometimes takes over in the Ubuntu Forums hasn't happened here yet. I find it surprising, actually, that it hasn't.

3. The Ubuntu Forums are constantly being upgraded by the staff (or attacked by whomever), and so they're down frequently.
                    I agree with this entire post.

1. I love that.
                    2. There does seem to be a nice feeling of community here.
                    3. They really are down a lot. I also noticed that there has been several times when an outage was blamed on some crackers. Who's attacking the ubuntuforum server? Don't they have anything better to do? psh.

Comment

1. I actually sometimes find it hilarious when someone asks for help in the Kubuntu Support section over there, and someone still replies with "sudo gedit" or "gksudo something". I mean, the intention to help is there, but I just find it funny for it to happen in the Kubuntu section.

2. Yep, nice community. Not too big. Not too small.

3. Well, before they started the "renovation of the forums", the last time I remember the site being down was back in January. Then smooth sailing from that time on. Well, until last week. Who could be attacking the server? probably someone who got pissed off by the admins implementing rules. It's actually amusing how people equally hate seeing how rules are not implemented and rules being implemented at the same time.
                      Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato
                        1. I actually sometimes find it hilarious when someone asks for help in the Kubuntu Support section over there, and someone still replies with "sudo gedit" or "gksudo something". I mean, the intention to help is there, but I just find it funny for it to happen in the Kubuntu section.
                        I've made that mistake myself before. I don't browse by section--I actually just look at "new posts" and see a mix of different posts from different sections, so I often assume people are Ubuntu users and sometimes don't bother to look at the section the post I'm answering is in.
                        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Like I said, nothing wrong with it. I just find it funny. Hey I make mistakes too. And I laugh at myself for those times. People make mistakes. Just natural.

No offense meant.

OT: I finally found out a few days ago why they named the text editor as Kate. Given the origins of the names Krita and amaroK, I presumed it was in another language or named after something/someone. I learned it stood for KDE Advanced Text Editor. guess they should have spelled it KATE
                          Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

That's strange, I replied to this thread, but for some reason it didn't show up...

Anyway, I was going to say that the reason for those post is that people use the "new posts" feature a lot.

But, you guys beat me to it.

Comment

Yeah, I understand. I mean, just by looking at the "new posts" lists over at the other forum doesn't really tell you in an obvious way what section the post is located (you'd have to look to the far right, as opposed to being found beneath the thread title in this forum). Not only that, the location indicator at the top of the thread/post is also not very much visible (normal face, not bold face like this one).

Well, design decision. I'm not blaming anyone, though.

EDIT: I hope I didn't offend anyone... I'm sorry if I did. I had no intention to.
                              Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Working...
                              X