X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu installed happily on Acer Laptop

Hi guys,

Absolute Linux newbie here who has always wanted to get familiar with at least one Linux distribution, and found a special kind of fondness for (K)Ubuntu.  I downloaded the ISO for 5.10 today and installed it on my Acer Aspire 3500 (Celeron M 370 - 1.5G, 512 DDR, 802.11b/g, 15.4" WXGA monitor), to dual boot with Windows XP. 

The installation has gone fabulously, and I am now online (ADSL connection) writing this post immediately after the install.  The only problem I came across was the awkward installation screen size (it was split into two at bottom of screen), where it took me some time to find the right keystrokes to apply the partitioning changes I made. 

My sincere thanks to the developers of (K)Ubuntu, as I never thought it could be this simple.  I have tried a few other distribs (Redhat, Mandrake, Debian) and none have been easier than this.

Loving the interface!

Kind Regards,
    Natasha

Re: Kubuntu installed happily on Acer Laptop

Nice going!!!!! I mean it! I am anxiously awaiting my laptop due next week!

question about the resolution.....how big is your screen? and is everything OK size wise?

I have a 12" coming and that is the same res and I didn't notice it but the 12" I am running now has a lower res so I figured this new 12" could be a bear to read - being so damn tiny. just wonderin... the new res is what you have.

thanks and congrats! did more than I could have done....do you like Kubuntu

Comment

Natasha: Welcome! I wish you many happy hours with Ubuntu.

K-9: You know, you're allowed to increase the size of the type :-) When you get your new laptop and install kubuntu, go to System Settings>Appearance>Fonts and just add 1 or 2 to the size of every font. You'll probably also need to use ctl-+ once or twice in many websites in Firefox. Take it from me, it will improve your computing experience immensely.

Comment

Hi K9 and Al! Thanks for your messages.

K9 to answer yours regarding video display settings, I am currently running 1024x768 display at 60Hz refresh. This was setup automatically, after choosing only two display types during install phase (default). I am not all that concerned with testing the ability at the moment, but it does look just fine. I really like the Kubuntu front end, thanks for asking.

I would like to learn more about hosting and linux web programming however, so here goes ... !

Regards,
        Natasha

Comment

Working...
        X