X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do FAT patents mean trouble for Linux?

Go it from another Forum

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has recently granted Microsoft permission to patent the FAT filesystem. It's only a matter of time before Microsoft starts charging royalties for the use of it's FAT filesystem (why else would they want to patent it?).

Since the GPL states that Linux cannot be distributed if it contains patented code that requires royalties, what do you think this mean for the future of Linux and other products that use the FAT filesystems. Do you think Microsoft is crazy enough to enforce such a patent?
    What you think ?
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Re: Do FAT patents mean trouble for Linux?

From my side, I think yes, they're crazy enough to use it... Just hope they will not.

Comment

Originally posted by whoiam55
      Go it from another Forum

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has recently granted Microsoft permission to patent the FAT filesystem. It's only a matter of time before Microsoft starts charging royalties for the use of it's FAT filesystem (why else would they want to patent it?).

Since the GPL states that Linux cannot be distributed if it contains patented code that requires royalties, what do you think this mean for the future of Linux and other products that use the FAT filesystems. Do you think Microsoft is crazy enough to enforce such a patent?
      What you think ?
      Won't linux users only not be able to partition their drives using FAT? They can still use a win98 bootdisk and fdisk a FAT partition, or us PMagic (if you dual boot). Maybe I don't understand the article (I read it at Neowin.net and didn't understand there either...)

Also, we'll soon see them bragging about the FAT filesystem on their Get The Facts (Anti-Linux) page...
      <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I think that they will ask linux developers and users to make us pay to be able to read FAT partitions...
        Isn't it possible ?

Comment

What? No FAT jokes here yet?

A linux diskette walks into a bar and orders a beer.  The Microsoft bartender sets down the beer and says, "for you, no charge!"

wow! Was that even a joke?! Mod this post +5Dumb.

lameness filter detected. Abort! Abort! Abo;l00-(0-_))- 8*(^&# NO CARRIER

Comment

Originally posted by skoal
            What? No FAT jokes here yet?

A linux diskette walks into a bar and orders a beer. The Microsoft bartender sets down the beer and says, "for you, no charge!"

Yo' patent so FAT that its graduation picture was an ariel.

(Only slightly lamer than yours, skoal.)

Comment

Hey! My good buddy roo is here! In your honor, just to wet your apetite, I made a comic for you.  This is just an appetizer, and I promise a better one is in store...

Comment

Aren't most Hollywood health resorts full of FAT patents? Oh, no, that's patients, and I can't even draw cartoons!!!!!
                I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

A'ight, this ones for all my kubuntu homies. Mad props to arooaroo for getting the juices flowin'...

Comment

Why would I want to use a F'd up Allocation Table.....
                    I am sure not formating my hard drive with it and no one uses diskettes anymore!!!  I dont even have a floppy drive anymore..
                    CD/DVD's are our freinds

Comment

Working...
                    X