This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was just wondering...

Aight, I dont know if im posting in the right section but...oh well.

I just installed Kubuntu on my PC and I really enjoy it. Now i was thinking to something different. See my sister have this really old pc (p3 800Mhz, 326MB of ram, Nvidia MX440) and I was wondering if Kubuntu (or any other Linux distro for that matter) would run on it. Why asking such a question you must be thinking? see...shes running Win98 on her PC and its full of bull..and by bull I mean trojans, viruses, etc etc etc. And god knows its butthard to find compatible programs for this OS to get rid of her dump. Plus im tired of the weekly "Oh alex...I think ive caught something else, now my PC is FUBAR once again, could you fix it again"

Im tired of that. Everything she does it talking on MSN, doing webcam chat with her friends, listening to music and browsing the net. So I guess a Linux distro would be the best option for her...until she gets a new PC (and god knows once she gets one I'll be installing Kubuntu on it aswell to prevent future FUBAR situations.)

Feedback?

Thanks for reading

-X-

Re: Was just wondering...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...7C%28system%29
    Registered Linux User #418555<br />Kubuntu User #9254<br /><br />aptosid 2010-01 Xfce / aptosid 2010-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Wheezy Xfce / Kubuntu 10.04<br />aptosid 2011-01 Xfce / aptosid 2011-01 KDE-Lite<br />Debian Testing Gnome<br />Debian Sid Gnome<br />Epidemic 3.2<br />ALL pulseaudio free by default

Comment

Bottom line: your sisters PC can handle *ubuntu. The issues you would have to be concerned about are the video card, network connection type (you didn't specify - modem or ethernet??) and the web cam.

Strongly recommended that you (if not already on hand) download/burn a LiveCD of either, Ubuntu or Kubuntu and test her machine out. In general, if the LiveCD will pickup/operate the components on the PC, then it should do so with an actual install.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sounds like a better computer than mine, (compaq paserio 1200 6gb, 256ram ex windows98se
        every day is a gift

Comment

Xubuntu is also good on older machines. Have a version running on an old lappie and it has breathed new life into it. Also available as a live CD.

Cheers

Lowey
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Shes on a wireless connection (picking up the signal from my router).

I guess that my biggest concern would be the graphic card.

As for the WebCam its a Creative. What could I do?

If the webcam wouldnt work, I guess I can forget this idea. Which totally sucks because she saw me working in Linux yesterday, She looked interested and asked me when I would test it on her PC.

Comment

Kubuntu 7.04 runs faster and on the whole, better on my laptop (HP Omnibook 6000) than Windows 2000 and definitely faster than XP ever would and it has a slower CPU (P3 600Mhz) and less RAM (256) than your Sis' PC so I think she'll be fine.

I don't blame you with the FUBAR situation, anti-virus worries and constant Zone Alarm warnings of attacks are now a distant memory for me, hopefully they will be for your sister too

&quot;As long as they&#39;re going to steal software, we want them to steal ours.&quot; - Bill Gates on the Chinese.

Comment

Thanks, Im at college right now, ill download xubuntu from here (will be a whole lot faster than @ home)

Comment

Working...
                X