X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what is the kudos thingy

Death Kitten:
    I get what you mean. For some people, shame and public opinion is a powerful deterrent. But I'm just wondering about 2 things:

1. Whether the majority of our users know enough about the kudos system to make it a powerful deterrent. I mean, if less than half even know about it, I wouldn't think it's being efficient.

2. Whether it's good to rely on shame and popularity to temper those tempers. There might be more effective ways. For one, we do have forum rules, something you explicitly or implicitly agree to when you sign up. But from what I understand, the primary purpose of the kudos system was to give thanks/praise to job well done and give credit to helpful people.

But like I said, if it's beneficial for some, I don't have issues with it being there. Unfortunately, it seems that it's a bloating feature. Maybe we could think up of a better feature or way to do these things. Looking forward to a good discussion in the future.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

I kinda miss it myself. bloat? I don't think it is too much, really.
      I can live without it, but a good way of marking the tread solved would be more useful to those in need of help.

Comment

Jucato wonders (I believe correctly) whether the majority of forum users even know about the kudos system.

Death Kitten suggests that the risk of receiving a negative kudo (or having ones positive kudo count reduced) serves as a kind of check against users who may just "spout off without realizing what it's going to do or how it's going to sound." I'm not sure it did serve that purpose, but ....

I, along with claydoh, miss the kudos already. I saw them for what I believed they were intended for: an indicator of the users value as a "source of reliable help" to other forum users. In that light, I believe it was a good system, while accepting that it wasn't a perfect system.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It was kinda fun, but we can live without them I think. "Thanks" works fine for me.

Of more value, if we could think of a good way to do it, would be to organize a "Solved Problems Repository". Maybe if it had the same basic structure as the version areas, i.e. Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, Gutsy, and then within the version the Installation, Hardware, Sofware, Networking, 64-bit, then we (Open Source and his happy hands) could move entire threads that include a solid solution into the appropriate compartment of the "Solved Problems" repository, for reference. 8)

Comment

A 'concept' came to mind. In keeping with what I still believe one of the forums purpose's is for, namely to provide aid and assistance to users of *ubuntu, why not include a means of rating forum threads? I don't know how, or even if, with the software this forum uses, this could be done, but if it could, having the threads ranked in terms of helpfulness could be a useful addition.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think it looks nicer without something that few understand, I like the idea of mentioning ones level as seen in some forums, also I like the idea of judo belts(in this case just bars would do) anyway most people are modest and state under their true level, but the mod can always ask the member to up his or her belt, few people start by saying "I am a blackbelt", and the other members could take him aside, also a programmer could be second dan, etc., I think belts would soon level out nicely, for example I would say that I am now yellow belt, no longer white belt.(btw for anyone who has never done judo it's white yellow green blue brown and black, black second dan, third dan etc.,) proficiency being black belt, I think we already know who are black belts here, but giving a member a goal would entice them to learn, besides, it sounds cool "a linux blackbelt" to go with a linux Tshirt, lastly I feel that the member should be able to opt out if he or she wishes, and I feel the control of the belt level should be in member's hands not forced on a member, self regulation then, thanks
              every day is a gift

Comment

It's hard to rank someone, the ways are too subjective.
                Regarding the belt colors, Funakoshi, Kano, Ueshiba, Masaaki, all of them used to say that the belt has one sole purpose: to tie the pants. And the students don't ask to be a higher grade, it's the teacher who names them to a higher grade.
                IMHO, a forum should not trail a different path it was supposed to do. People ask, people answer, simple as that. Of course, it's just my 2c. :-)

Comment

Working...
                X