This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu, been awhile...

I gotta say I have been going back and forth between Windows and Linux for some time now. Finally a year or two ago I stumbled upon Kubuntu Dapper Drake. I tried it out and liked it decently but not enough to give up windoze. Well I then tried Ubuntu Dapper and stuck with it for around a month yet it too failed to meet all my needs, mostly because I like gaming. So I used Windoze for another year. Then just this May I tried out Linux Mint and loved it, it had everything I needed OOTB. Not great gaming support still but then I got a brainy idea. Hmm why don't I dual boot? Well I had mint on half my hardrive and the other half had WindozeXP. That was ok for awhile but I noticed I also had soo much empty space in Mint and Windoze was pushing the barrier of its partition. Well I tried to resize back and partitions crapped out on me. I installed Windoze on wiped HD and used it for 2 months before I couldn't take it anymore and had to go back to windoze. I had been using Gnome all this time and liked rather well but... well I had ordered some Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty cds awhile ago and they finally arrived. Didn't take me long to resize partition (Using GParted cause QTParted bites) and now have Kubuntu back on.

Basically I never realized untill I went back to it how much I missed the functionality of KDE. God do I love KDE compared to Gnome!

Re: Kubuntu, been awhile...

Welcome back.

eriefisher
    ~$sudo make me a sandwich

Comment

I use vmware-server to run windows xp and my companies vpn software so I can connect to work.
      Sure beats a dual boot setup.
      txWingMan

Comment

Only reason I havent done that is because then I have to take 5 hours to reinstall and update windows lol

Comment

Originally posted by jbaerbock
          Only reason I havent done that is because then I have to take 5 hours to reinstall and update windows lol
          Not necessarily: you may as well (try to) virtualize the given installation 8)

Comment

Might give that a try someday but for now I'm happy with dual boot. I only have 512Ram besides so I know it wouldn't run terribly well.

Comment

I fixed the gaming problem by picking up two consoles. Games had been the one thing holding me back from a switch to Linux for quite some time. There are native Linux games as well (UT2008 includes a Linux version) and some major games work flawlessly in Wine (World of Warcraft), but gaming is still the weak point of Linux. I think if the industry became a bit more open-minded, Linux would really take off.

Dual-booting was never a real option for me, though, because I always multitask even when gaming, and I prefer to have everything in the same place. I only use Linux/Kubuntu now, and I'm happy as a kitten with it.

Comment

Working...
              X