This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linus torvalds recommends KDE

Linus Torvalds strikes GNOME hard in a mail reply:I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE. This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease

Full story
    cheers!
    -=|From the desk of|=-
    «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
    «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
    «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
    Reg. Linux User # 400637

Re: Linus torvalds recommends KDE

In my experience, the unfortunate consequence of most technocrats backed into positions of definitive authority and leadership is that they do not fully realize the responsibility they have to the public to be careful with their words.  Linus is one of those.  I do not believe he has the faculties to mitigate his words like a careful politician, in which he should. 

His choice of words are, ahem, unfortunate.  If you want to attract the KDE bees, you don't throw out chunks of four letter elephant dung near the Gnome hive.  And that's basically what that whole post of his smelt like.  Everything else about ppd's and dialog windows were lost on me...

Comment

Originally posted by skoal
      His choice of words are, ahem, unfortunate.  If you want to attract the KDE bees, you don't throw out chunks of four letter elephant dung near the Gnome hive.  And that's basically what that whole post of his smelt like.  Everything else about ppd's and dialog windows were lost on me...
      It's usual of him take a look at this: http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/wordcount/

Just a little flamewar if you ask me...

Comment

I think that all this KDE/Gnome argument/flame thing is a total waste of time, space and effort. If you like KDE, use it. If you like Gnome, use it. I like dark roast coffee but please don't bag me for it. If Linus likes KDE and light roast coffee, then good luck to him.
        As many, many people have said before me (and only being a Linux convert for 4 months), Linux (and the whole world really) is about choice.

I chose to get away from Windows and use Linux. It has been a major learning curve for me, but with the help of the good people on these forums, I have been quite successful. I chose the KDE desktop. I chose the bouncing cows screensaver. I chose Amarok as my music player, and so on and so on.

Let's be thankful that we do have such wonderful choices and let Linus have his. If he prefers KDE, it's not a slight on the people who use Gnome, it's his personal preference which he is perfectly entitled to have and express, as we all are.

Remember, Ubuntu means "I am because we are".

Cheers

Lowey
        I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick
          It's usual of him take a look at this: http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/wordcount/
          priceless! The 'bastard' count seems to be holding at a steady pace though. I guess in 2.6.16 when reiser4 goes in, you'll probably see it jump up a notch or two.

By the way, the curse growth rate looks to be exponential. At that rate, by 2010 I'm sure it will spill over from the comments into the actual code, as in:

int *****ing_pointer = &_IO_HEAP_****;

awww, the forum curse filter janked me with some @##$ garbdley gook talk. You'll just have to imagine it then...

Comment

priceless!
            Huh, 

By the way, the curse growth rate looks to be exponential.  At that rate, by 2010 I'm sure it will spill over from the comments into the actual code, as in:

int #&%$ing_pointer = #&%$;
            Imagine what M$ Windows's source is like....

awww, the forum curse filter janked me with some @##$ garbdley gook talk.  You'll just have to imagine it then...
            Too easy

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick
              Imagine what M$ Windows's source is like....
              Ripped from the Windows Kernel (w/SP2, which makes it rock solid secure... :-X ):
              Code:
              Load = BuyMicrosoftProducts*Windows*BuyMicrosoftProducts
              crash = on_startup
              spendmoneyonsupport = true
              buyoffice = nag_until_program_found
              you = broke
              yourass = scammed
              sendmoneyto = Bill Gates, Redmond, Washington.

## **** the little guy, pay us
              ...as a matter of fact, **** linux too
              free stuff is bull****, stupid linux cunts always being good mother****ers giving away free ****ing bull**** products that are **** better than our sack of crap money pit.
               and **** OSX, OS/2 and BSD, and that ****ing goat...what was its name, GNU?
              $print="sendmoneyto"
              Buy Vista,It looks cool
              and an Xbox or your kid will kill you
              :P
              <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

well...linus has started something great with his kernel but he can make some pretty stupid dumbass remarks.just read up on gpl 3.0 and what he has to say about it.yeah,he can be really stupid sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by kinematic
                  well...linus has started something great with his kernel but he can make some pretty stupid dumbass remarks.just read up on gpl 3.0 and what he has to say about it.yeah,he can be really stupid sometimes.
                  The impression I have of mr Torvalds is that he can be a bit blunt in his remarks. Nonetheless the biggest problem with Linus Torvalds' comments aren't the comments that Linus Torvalds makes. The biggest problems originate in the interpretation of the comments, which vary from small misunderstandings to enormous, smelly misquotiations by the press with the sole intent of increasing the ratings.

For example, the recent GPL 3.0 debate. The GPL only recently has the debate started on the 3.0 version of that license, which makes it impossible for anyone to adopt it. If that wasn't enough, what Linus initialy said was that it would be almost impossible to track down every contributor to the Linux kernel and ask their permission to switch the license. Meanwhile, there were a lot of reporters who distorted what Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman said and all hell broke loose.

So if you called Linus Torvalds stupid because of that little episode, maybe it would be best to rethink that comment.

Comment

Working...
                  X