that we will give as a prize to a student
    here at our school.

We are going to install Edubuntu on it.

We called Acer Switzerland to ask how we can
    get a refund for the Windoze Vista license
    and got a...SORRY, WE DON'T DO THAT.

We thought it was a joke.
    It is not.
    You do indeed pay for Windoze even if you don't want it.

Shame on you...ACER!!!
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Re: ACER will not refund us for unused Windoze Vista license

Very few manufacturers do. If you find one that does, please publicize it! If all the people who overwrite their windoze partitions and boot Linux only migrated to manufacturers who respect their wishes, the world (or at least the computer market) would be a different place for all of us. That's why I applaud Dell's recent announcement.

Comment

I got Vista on my Aspire 9410, I use it since I paid for it.

If I get Kubuntu on it will all my hardware work? Acer says they support Linux.

I have the folowing hard ware that might not run in Linux:

WebCam [Acer Orbi Cam]
      Bluetooth
      Intel GMA 45 [might not have full video optimization]
      Microphone and sound should [hopfully] work
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The orbicam won't work in Linux. I too have an Acer laptop and plan to put put Kubuntu on it shortly. I did some research and found many forum topics concerning orbicam. There just aren't any linux drivers for it at the moment. The rest of your hardware I'm not sure. . . you'd have to check for yourself.

It annoys me though that I bought my laptop before I found out about Kubuntu (well. . .I knew it existed I just didn't use it then.) When I went to buy it, they made me pay extra to buy that stupid, annoying antivirus software. . .widows live OneCare. (I still remember the vendor telling me "With a laptop with a wifi connection like that, if you don't have an antivirus you're dead") I'm prolly never gonna use it now.

Comment

Have an aspire 9303wsmi that works fine exept from the Orbicam. Had some trouble to get sound from my speakers, but with some try and fails I got it. Unmute Surround and use PCM as volume control if you use internal speakers. Otherwise the computer works just great with Kubuntu 7.04

Ran Vista on the computer earlier, but got tired of all security popups and tried Kubuntu with dualboot. Liked it so much that I have only Kubuntu on my acer now.

Why get trouble when u can feisty

Comment

I dont think the internal card reader works either, you think it would...
            My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X