X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 3.5 stable, any word??

Hello Everyone,
    Any word on when KDE 3.5 stable will be released for Kubuntu?
    I tried the RC1 out, but the repositories were missing some libs and it killed my system so bad i couldnt even fix it from console
    Cheers,
    Joey

Re: KDE 3.5 stable, any word??

The packages will be released when the final is finished.

Patience...

~ Patrick

Comment

No problem being patient here
      I was just arguing with some guys over at one of the SuSE forums. They are swearing that SuSE already has 3.5 stable out..
      And another guy tried to tell that the stable is released to K/Ubuntu and SuSE a week before the stable sources are released on KDE's site. Is there any truth in that?
      Thanks,
      Joey

Comment

KDE regularly publishes release schedules, 3.5 is not an exeption:
        http://developer.kde.org/development...ease-plan.html

As you can see, the targetted release date was yesterday. However, bugs in the release candidates can delay that, even forcing an additional release candidate inbetween.

Additionally, the KDE project always puts in a couple of days delay between packaging the sources and officially announcing the release. This gives the packagers time to complete packaging the new release and they can immediately release the new kde version as soon as it is announced. In fact, I have even seen official release packages being published even before the official release announcement (e.g. 3.4.1 for Arch Linux iirc).

Check the kde download mirrors to see if the source tarballs for the new release are there already (or not). That might tell you if the final release has been made (or not). However, I'd happily wait a couple o'days for jridell et al to get things integrated properly instead of breaking things with a hurried release. 3.4.3 is running ok just now.

Regards,
        Dominik

Comment

It is a bit true.

KDE is announced 24 hours after it has been released (I've heard), so the packagers have 24 hours to make packages in order to be in time with the main release.

Hey stable could have been released now and packagers blasting away in order to get on time for the announcement

Riddell said that the C++ transition was standing by for Dapper...

Edit: incinerator's right

2nd Edit: I see that there's a RC 2 folder in the FTP:

ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/unstable/3.5-rc2

-- Those tar's have a *-3.5.0.tar.bz extension...looks like it's getting close to me.

Comment

Thanks Patrick..
            I knew you guy's would know before anyone
            Hey if you guys get a chance stop by my website and sign my guest book..
            http://banditshome.net/gb/index.php
            Cheers,
            Joey

Comment

Okay:

Here's the rc2 repo for Breezy:

** Testers wanted.

Code:
              deb [url]http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde35rc2[/url] breezy main
              Add that to your /etc/apt/sources.list file.

** Let me make clear they're still in testing and haven't been announced!!

Comment

I put this puppy...
                Code:
                deb [url]http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde35[/url] breezy main
                ...in my sources.list and am living large and in charge on KDE 3.5!

None of that RC doohickey stuff. It's the real deal, like Donald Trump's hair...

Comment

I'm running KDE 3.5 right now and it rocks! Eye candy is pretty much still the same but there are some new features which pop right out to your attention. For example, Konqueror passes the acid2 test! There are a couple of features added to kicker, which are quite nice. The horrible bug of not updating the KMenu after a package instalation is also gone. But the thing that I noticed almost imediately is the speed improvement. Everything seems to run faster. The biggest improvement I noticed was konqueror's startup time. Before it dragged a bit but now it is virtually instantly! Great job!

OTOH, It seems that after the upgrade I can't run kdevelop from the KMenu entry. The icons are gone but the entries are still there. To make matters worse, I've uninstalled and reinstalled kdevelop and the problem stays the same. Thankfully I code only as a hobby and I don't need to tinker with it.

Well, these are my first impressions. I guess it shows that I am a very happy camper

Great job, KDE! And great job, kubuntu folks! The repository worked as a charm! Kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBunzinni
                    I'm running KDE 3.5 right now and [...] For example, Konqueror passes the acid2 test!
                    Yes, sir. I must agree.

I'm really not a Konqueror apostle myself, and never claimed to be. In fact, up until 3.5 I only knew that app as krap. Well, I find myself firing that sucker up more often than a clove cigarette nowdays.

Speed. CHECK
                    Does everything except add sugar to Cocoa Puffs in mornin'. CHECK
                    Finds all FF plugins. CHECK
                    Bad ass barbaric name symbolizing future browser dominance. CHECK

It's da shiznitt. NOw, that's perty damn impressive coming from a xterm ls'ing caveman like myself. I guess Konqueror is my proverbial wheel. Weeeeeeeee!

Comment

deb http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/so...atest/kubuntu/ breezy main
                      deb http://mirror.cc.columbia.edu/pub/so...atest/kubuntu/ breezy main

Comment

Just had a little problem with KDE 3.5 under Dapper Drake, basically it is well and truly broken. Apt-get has now removed it and won't reinstall it so carrying out the long winded Konstruct route to getting it back. Posting this from IceWM instead.
                        KDE 3.5 RC1 and Dapper Drake....waiting for it to implode

Comment

Working...
                        X