X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remastering Kubuntu

Hi,

I would like to make a customized version of Kubuntu. I will replace some applications and add some others. Can you suggest me any good tools ( and tutorials) for this job?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Remastering Kubuntu

I haven't tried it myself, but intellibuild may be what you're looking for see: http://ibuild.livecd.net/ . It's a program that you can use to make your own livecd.

Comment

Thanks, Lindy; I' ll give it a try. Today, I found reconstructor as well http://reconstructor.aperantis.com/

Comment

Well, I have made a customized version of kubuntu and that motivates me to think about making more changes.

I always wanted a radically simple linux for example without commandline, without swap partition, with documentation for apps in just a few lines, an adept_installer (not adept_manager) style for managing all apps, a human language understandable by the average john dow etc

Do you know if a similar project exist? If not, are there people who want to support such a project?
        If you ask me why such a project, here are my thoughts:

There are many reasons people dont use linux and one of them is that linux is not as friendly as we (linuxians) think. The installation is really easy but after that? A newbie has to spent enough time reading manuals, posting at forums, configuring etc He/She asks for help and often the solution is in a technical language without pedagogical approach.

Even today after some years of using linux I encounter situations where I dont know what to do. And sometimes they give me help I dont know how to use, because the instructions are not clear.

Do you want a linux for an elite club? I hope no. I want a linux for all the people; so I will support any project to that direction. In my opinion kubuntu is a good distribution and could use it as a base for this project (if i dont find a project of this nature to support).

Constructive comments are welcome

Comment

If you need a website (hosting) let me know, since my financial situation is nearly to limited all I can offer at this moment is web space and time
          I can set up space for you and an admin account, including forums, etc. To finance your project and the server's costs and as I stated on another post, we can use paypal and request donations.
          It would be nice as well to setup a repository with all the multimedia software available especially for Kubuntu users. Yeah, I know that already exists (Medibuntu) but its too "orange" :P

I'm not suggesting "mutiny" its just that Kubuntu should have its own personality

Greetz

MepisReign
          Beware the Almighty Command Line

Comment

Thank you, MepisReign, for your offer. At a first time I would prefere to make some propositions in the section (Documentation->Experimentation etc) when I have more time. My intention is to work with others in order to ameliorate kubuntu basing our work on a clear plan (that's why I am talking of a project). I would like to see other viewpoints and if finally the project become very different from the kubuntu image and strategy, I will leave this forum in order to make another distro.

For information, kubuntu has been chosen as main OS by the french parliament instead of Madriva (a french distribution). This choice recognizes kubuntu as a high quality distro. I think that other countries will follow and I am persuaded that kubuntu will be a good candidat for selection. At distrowatch though it is not popular enough. That' s why the need of amelioration.

Comment

Working...
            X