This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convince me

I'm a longtime Redhat/Fedora user, convince me to switch to kubuntu.

Re: Convince me

Why?

Use whatever works for you. If you're happy with Fedora, stay with it.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I think one goes through quite a few distros until one finds something one likes, kubuntu was the first one that really worked for me, but then again everyone has different needs so perhaps, you will like puppy linux and dsl linux or any other of the many that are out there, the only thing I hate is someone who has said "oh I have tried linux" when in fact he has only tried one flavor of it. knoppex isn't bad either if you are repairing a crashed windows system, trouble is that I don't know either about fedora to compare
      every day is a gift

Comment

I've been having some fun with E-live recently -- it's VERY different from (K)Ubuntu. Here's the site:

http://www.elivecd.org/

It is not as fully developed as Kubuntu, by far, but the Enlightenment desktop is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
          Why?

Use whatever works for you. If you're happy with Fedora, stay with it.
          But do try the livecd, you will get a better idea about kubuntu if you are interested.

Comment

Why (K)Ubuntu, or any other Debian based distro? 20,276 packages. You name it, we've got it. And there's always someone who needs it.

In addition, APT is at least as easy as RPM, and while dependency hell is still possible, it is substantially rarer with deb based distros than with rpm based. At least in my roughly 10 years of experience with Linux. Moreover, because of Mark Shuttleworth's economic position compared to that of Novell, Redhat, and Mandriva. The (K)(X)(Ed)Ubuntus are the most stable distro group in the Linux community. Of course, this could change at any time. Look at what's happening to Gentoo at the moment.

Comment

O.K. After a bit of poking about I think I'm fairly well convinced to make the switch! Let the games begin... Well in another couple of weeks anyway... I'm currently at 46% of the DVD , been chugging along on it now for about two weeks now... God I love dialup! :P

Comment

I am a long time Fedora user. Will try Fedora 7 when it is released. That's why I keep partitions for different distros so if I se something i want to try out I can in a dual boot environment without making a commitment.

When I only had dialup, I just ordered the CD's from one of the many places on the net that sells them. They would come in just a couple of days and the cost was minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                  I am a long time Fedora user. Will try Fedora 7 when it is released. That's why I keep partitions for different distros so if I se something i want to try out I can in a dual boot environment without making a commitment.

When I only had dialup, I just ordered the CD's from one of the many places on the net that sells them. They would come in just a couple of days and the cost was minimal.
                  As far as Fedora is concerned I'd be prone to wait for 8 as it seems to me that they do better on the even numbered releases. Right now I'm keeping my spare partition open for Solaris 10. My "extras" budget is earmarked for something else right now or else I would buy the DVD and spare myself the joy of downloading it... 47% now, w00t!

Comment

Working...
                  X