This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 6.06 Plus IBM T20 Equals Computing Goodness

I've had my T20 for a couple of years now (bought it used). From the moment I first turned it on, I've been using Linux (and a couple of excursions to *BSD-land). I used Mandrake/Mandriva for a long time - up through LE 2005. I thought perhaps I had found a delicious environment with PC-BSD, but it had a couple of issues.

To be honest, I had my doubts about the whole Ubuntu/Kubuntu thing. I was very concerned about the extensive use of "sudo" in lieu of actually switching to the root user and with the default single password. To some extent, I still do. However, I am liking the Kubuntu experience - A LOT !! Keeping it updated is a breeze with Adept as well as installing apps via Automatix and Adept. I also ran across the solution to my Broadcom chip based wifi ugliness through Kubuntu/Ubuntu. Being free of the ethernet cable is a wonderful feeling.

All in all, this is a terrific Linux distribution, very professionlly done, very easy to use, and very smooth in every way. It's a good feeling to simply use my computer rather than being a slave to it.

I like Kubuntu and give it 10 out of 10.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Re: Kubuntu 6.06 Plus IBM T20 Equals Computing Goodness

I run 6.10 on my T20 here and there's almost nothing I had to change to make things work right. I've modified it by adding an Intel 2200bg mini-pci card and put a bigger hard disk in it but other than that it's stock and seems to work perfect.

The only issue I've really ever had with it was the support for the savage video but that's mostly resolved with recent versions of xorg.

Comment

Working...
    X