This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

I am looking to setup a home server primarily development and testing, but I will also be hosting my domain (which contains extensive photo galleries) on it.

I'll be using PHP with MySQL and understand that this is fairly easy to get up and going with the ubuntu distro.

I am wondering what the distinction is between Ubuntu and Kubuntu in terms of suitability for this hosting role? Obliviously I want to minimize the server overhead with the desktop environment, but would still like to have the GUI.

Utilmately I want to run the machine headless (no monitor, or keyboard) and just connect to it via VNC from a windows box on the same LAN.

Hardware is x86 Intel PIII 1Ghz 512RAM.

All suggestions/comments appreciated.

Re: Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

Well, I wouldnt run a GUI. And without the GUI Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same far as I can tell.
    If you MUST run a gui I suggest Window Maker...
    Cheers,
    Joey

Comment

For a server I see no need to run X-Windows. Either use the installation CD/DVD in "server mode", or download ubuntu-server and install software using aptitude/dselect/apt-get as you see fit.

Btw, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu-Server are all using the same software package repositories. Apart from what software gets installed during installation, they are actually all the same. You can always install every software package you want on any of these variants.

Comment

both have vnc on theri desktops
        , and you can install freenx yf you dont whant to have the gui runing
        maybe kde have an easy tool to configure samba, can be usefull, but talking about server, is the same thing
        give a try to vnc
        avivable for uuntu in ubuntu seveas

deb http://seveas.ubuntulinux.nl/ breezy-seveas all

its so fasta that you can use your computer remotely fron anywhere even with 56k

Comment

Originally posted by sgartner
          I am looking to setup a home server primarily development and testing, but I will also be hosting my domain (which contains extensive photo galleries) on it.

I'll be using PHP with MySQL and understand that this is fairly easy to get up and going with the ubuntu distro.

I am wondering what the distinction is between Ubuntu and Kubuntu in terms of suitability for this hosting role? Obliviously I want to minimize the server overhead with the desktop environment, but would still like to have the GUI.

Utilmately I want to run the machine headless (no monitor, or keyboard) and just connect to it via VNC from a windows box on the same LAN.

Hardware is x86 Intel PIII 1Ghz 512RAM.

All suggestions/comments appreciated.
          I'm not sure about the specifics, but I saw somewhere that you can just type 'server' at the beginning of the install (of either kubuntu or ubuntu) and it will install the minimum packages needed to be used as a server. As for the GUI, there's a command you can put into the command-line interface to get the packages needed for that (You can get the Kubuntu, Ubuntu, or Xubuntu GUI... Xubuntu I hear being the lightest.)

Hope that helps. ^.^

Comment

Originally posted by incinerator
            For a server I see no need to run X-Windows.
            If you are going to install something like Oracle, you are better off with X

Comment

Hi,

At the server level there are no differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu and infact there is also Xubuntu if you want to run a lighter GUI.

There are 2 ways to install
              a) selecting the server install and then adding a GUI
              Code:
              eg sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
              or
              b) the route I choose and that was to install Xubuntu and and then manully setup the server side using the CUI in a terminal.

From a personal point of view most of my useage is CUI but I use the GUI for certain tasks:-
              1) drag and dropping files between directories,
              2) setting up the CUPs system ,
              3) web surfing from the server,
              4) and other minor tasks

Comment

Working...
              X