NTFS stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] NTFS stopped working

After an update on 4-19-24 to ntfs-3g I can no longer access my ntfs drives. I tried reinstall, ntfsfix and they didn't help. If I boot from live usb it accesses my drives. Is there any way I can fix this? Thank you
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Error messages in syslog or dmesg?

Please Read Me

Comment

1st drive: An error occurred while accessing 'WDBlue', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/ed/WDBlue: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error
      ​2nd drive: An error occurred while accessing '232.8 GiB Internal Drive (sde2)', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sde2 at /media/ed/30083B1D26F952E6: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error
      ​3rd drive: An error occurred while accessing 'Basic data partition', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdb4 at /media/ed/D01476A614768EEA: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb4, missing codepage or helper program, or other error
      ​These drives worked fine before upgrade.
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram

Comment

Roll-back if you have a BTRFS snapshot and don't upgrade ntfs-3g. If not, try this in Konsole: sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdc1

That might fix it. Also, see if clicking on the drives in Dolphin mounts them. Could be a no longer supported mount option.

Otherwise - there is Nuclear War: remove ntfs-3g and install the older package again. This will show you what versions are available:

apt list --all-version ntfs-3g

Here, I see this:
        Code:
        stuart@office:/subvol/@KDEneon-python3.11/etc/sudoers.d$ apt list --all-versions ntfs-3g
        Listing... Done
        ntfs-3g/jammy-security,jammy-updates,now 1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1.2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
        ntfs-3g/jammy 1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1 amd64​
        So this version is installed: 1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1.2
        and this version is the previous: 1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1

This command will specify which package version to install: sudo apt install package_name=package_version

So in my case:

sudo apt install ntfs-3g=1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1

UNFORTUNATELY, there are dependencies and from what I can see, a lot of them, beginning with libntfs-3g89. Removing all those packages will likely break your system.

Please Read Me

Comment

ed@ed-Alienware-17-R2:~$ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdc1
          [sudo] password for ed:
          Mounting volume... OK
          Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
          Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
          NTFS volume version is 3.1.
          NTFS partition /dev/sdc1 was processed successfully.
          ed@ed-Alienware-17-R2:~$
          This did not fix it.

Dolphin will not mount the drives-still get this error-An error occurred while accessing 'WDBlue', the system responded: The requested operation has failed: Error mounting /dev/sdc1 at /media/ed/WDBlue: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

This is what I got running this command- apt list --all-version ntfs-3g
          E: Sense all is not understood, try true or false.

Then I saw the command you ran had an “s” after version, so running it I got-ed@ed-Alienware-17-R2:~$ apt list --all-versions ntfs-3g
          Listing... Done
          ntfs-3g/mantic 1:2022.10.3-1ubuntu1 amd64

ed@ed-Alienware-17-R2:~$ sudo apt install ntfs-3g=1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree... Done
          Reading state information... Done
          Package ntfs-3g is not available, but is referred to by another package.
          This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
          is only available from another source

E: Version '1:2021.8.22-3ubuntu1' for 'ntfs-3g' was not found

So am I looking at a total Kubuntu reinstall?

Alienware 17 R2
          ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
          Nvidia Graphics
          16 Ram

Comment

Try fixing the NTFS drives from Windows first (and be sure to absolutely disable Windows fast startup if you want to access the "C:" drive from Linux !) and if this does not work try
            sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/whatever_your_ntfs_drive_is .
            Sometimes this is the solution for the error messages you posted if you cannot fix it from Windows.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 29, 2024, 06:13 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I tried everyone's suggestions and nothing worked. I went into windows and checked the drive and windows reported drive working and it functions fine. However, I booted with a kubuntu usb and the drives work, then kubuntu reported there were updates but I don't usually update from a usb live boot but when I looked to see what would be updated, ntfs-3g was one of them so I let it update. I then rebooted into my installed kubuntu and now my drives are working! I don't know what happened but everythings normal. I sure wish I knew what fixed it. Thank you all for your help.
              Alienware 17 R2
              ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
              Nvidia Graphics
              16 Ram

Comment

Sounds like that package had a bug the dev fixed immediately. Sometimes a bit of patience is all we need...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X