Invalid Buffer Destination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invalid Buffer Destination

After successfully installing Kubuntu 23, I’m getting an error at the bootup:

4.572216] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: WRT Invalid buffer Destination
    5.933221] Bluetooth: hci0: Malformed MSFT vender event: 0x02
    6.931011] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: WRT: Invalid buffer destination

I’m getting no key responses. The most I can do is hard reboot and go into my Bios screen.
    Someone please help. No experience in Linux

Welcome.

I assume that you can boot into Plasma and just the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections are not working? Or can't you boot at all?

And please tell us some more details about your hardware (e.g. laptop or desktop computer, make and model and other hardware details - at least the output of kinfo as a general information if you can boot into Plasma, what kind of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth (adaptor?) it is -> internal or external, its chipset etc.).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 21, 2024, 04:53 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Ok bare with me. This PC build is fairly new as well I may have had it for 3 months. I don’t have an ESD mat which has made me skeptical on digging into the motherboard at the moment.

intel Core i5 - 12600KF Deca-core 3.70 ghz Processor
      I don’t know the specific GPU model but it’s a Nvidia GForce 3060ti

I’ll dig in further today to find out the Bluetooth and wifi adaptor models. But I have small antennas set up behind the PC by the I/O panel so I’m assuming it’s external?

I can’t boot at all. It give me the black screen with the code I listed above in the top left corner.

Comment

Seems unlikely the wifi or bluetooth is causing the lock up, but not impossible I suppose. Probably those errors are the last thing the system spits out before whatever IS causing the issue takes hold.

Try selecting "Safe" mode on boot up or try booting to single user mode and see if you get further.

If you have a LiveUSB you can boot to, you could mount the system drive and read what's in syslog and maybe find a hint.

Please Read Me

Comment

I’m on a msi pro series and I tried looking up other keys that’ll get me into a safe or recovery mode. All I’m getting is the Del key response which brings up my Bios 5. From there are can check hardware components or select boot order but I can’t find a recovery mode. Because I chose Kubuntu and overwrote the Windows OS there’s nowhere for me to boot into. I still have the Kubuntu usb drive I can boot into and I tried reinstalling but still gave me the same error.

Comment

Originally posted by zaebrown11 View Post
            […] I don’t have an ESD mat which has made me skeptical on digging into the motherboard at the moment.
            Thumbs up from me!

[…] But I have small antennas set up behind the PC by the I/O panel so I’m assuming it’s external?

I can’t boot at all. It give me the black screen with the code I listed above in the top left corner.
            It is probably not external then but integrated on the motherboard - only the antennas are external.
            With "external" in this case I meant e.g. a specific USB Bluetooth/Wi-Fi adapter one can use if the computer has no "built-in" Bluetooth or Wi-Fi on the motherboard or a daughterboard.

Black screen, Nvidia
            Did you try to boot with nomodeset for example?
            And did you install the proprietary Nvidia driver from the (K)ubuntu repositories for your graphics card (nvidia-driver-550 should be the right one for the Nvidia GForce 3060 Ti)?
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I’m on a msi pro series and I tried looking up other keys that’ll get me into a safe or recovery mode. All I’m getting is the Del key response which brings up my Bios 5. From there are can check hardware components or select boot order but I can’t find a recovery mode. Because I chose Kubuntu and overwrote the Windows OS there’s nowhere for me to boot into. I still have the Kubuntu usb drive I can boot into and I tried reinstalling but still gave me the same error.
              Sorry I assumed you would know what I meant. You don't get to single user mode or "Recovery" mode (not "Safe", sorry again) from your BIOS/EFI boot menu, you get there from GRUB.

When you see the GRUB menu, it should look like this:
              Code:
              *Ubuntu
               Advanced options for Ubuntu
               Memory test (memtest86+x64.bin)
               Memory test (memtest86+x64.bin, serial console)
              Select "Advanced..." and you should see a menu similar to this:
              Code:
              *Ubuntu, with Linux 6.5.0-28-generic
               Ubuntu, with Linux 6.5.0-28-generic (recovery mode)
               Ubuntu, with Linux 6.5.0-26-generic
               Ubuntu, with Linux 6.5.0-26-generic (recovery mode)
              Your kernel version numbers will probably be different. No matter, arrow down once to the first "(recovery mode)" line and attempt to boot.

If it boots, I suggest fully upgrading and try booting normally again.

"single" mode (no network) is reached by pressing e when the GRUB menu appears which opens an editor window. Scroll down until you see "quiet splash" and replace the word "quiet" with "single" and then F10 to begin the boot.

This will show you a lot of text of your entire boot process (hint: watch for RED messages that indicate something is broken) and will end with this message:
              Code:
              Press Enter for maintenance
              (or press Control-D to continue):
              Enter will give you a text prompt as root user allowing you to read log files, etc. Control-D will resume a normal boot.

Try some of this, and report results

Please Read Me

Comment

All I’m getting is the Del key response which brings up my Bios 5.
                To add to the above, if this is a single-boot system, you might not see the grub menu. The <esc> is the key that will bring it up, but you need to use it after the POST/BIOS section at the very beginning. It can be tricky on some systems to hit the right spot.
                On my HP, I resort to using my system boot menu option (f9 in my case), select the correct drive and hit enter, THEN hit the <esc> key. otherwise I have about a .023445 second window, it seems.

Comment

Hey fellas. So I dug a little further. I couldn’t pull up my GRUB menu unless I left my Kubuntu USB inserted and changed the boot order to run the USB first. Once I got to the GRUB menu this is what was displayed:
                  • Try or Install Kununtu
                  • Kubuntu (safe graphics)
                  • OEM install (for manufacturers)
                  • Boot from next volume
                  • UEFI Firmware settings
                  I can hit “C” and it will pull up the command line for GRUB.

I went into Kubuntu (safe graphics), found the Linux line & replaced “ubiquity quiet splash” with “quiet”.
                  Once I hit ctrl - x it runs the entire boot order and I see nothing but Green OKs. It brings me to the Kubuntu Home Screen but it’s the USB not the install. Because it gives me the “Install Kub” icon in the top left corner. With the USB taken out, I can’t get the GRUB menu. The only reason it’s giving me the GRUB menu with the USB in is because it’s throwing a boot error with it. Odd.

Comment

Ok I successfully got into recovery mode. Upon boot up it’s sending me straight to the GRUB menu with everything listed that you guys said will be there. How did I achieve this? I installed Kubuntu one more time but I let it split Ubuntu and Kubunto instead of partitioning and replacing the entire system with Kubuntu I guess. I wish I could attach pictures.

Comment

I booted from recovery mode and it was successful. Now what do I do to ensure this doesn’t persist? I’m afraid to reboot lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X