I wish to be able to log in as root from the gui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] I wish to be able to log in as root from the gui

I have given root a password and that is working fine. So what do I need to do next ? I have good reason for needing a working root account.

Our site search doesn't seem very good for this topic, but one can find the info on adjusting the minimum user ID number visible in SDDM here and here.

Originally posted by 666JTK666 View Post
    I have good reason for needing a working root account.
    There is no 'good' reasons per se, but there are *your* reasons

Comment

I have found these instructions

1) set the root password “sudo passwd root”
      2) in /etc/sddm.conf change MinimumUid=1000 to MinimumUid=0
      3) in /etc/pam.d/sddm comment out “auth required pam_success_if.so user != root quiet_success”​

it seems that sddm.conf does not exist so there is nothing to edit.

Does anyone have an example sddm.conf i could use to create one ?
      Last edited by 666JTK666; Oct 17, 2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 666JTK666 View Post
        sddm.conf does not exist
        Create it, and just add that config. You won't need anything else in it. It only needs to exist for customized settings like you want.

Good luck!!

Comment

I have seceded in achieving a gui root login. however root does not show up in the list of users. I can manually login root from the gui . Can the root user be made to show up in the list of users ?

Comment

What "list of users" do you mean?

Please Read Me

Comment

I am leaving some cosmetic steps out, as homework for the OP Young Padawan

Like researching customizing SDDM's config to always show a user field, to show *all* user accounts, etc ad nauseum.

Such powahs should come with some research, and even failures or setbacks..........

tbh typing in the word 'root' is soooo much work.
              Last edited by claydoh; Oct 17, 2023, 05:39 PM.

Comment

I just realized that if I have another user account that can sudo or su that i don't need to login as root in case something nasty happens with my user account.
                I am gonna reverse this system mod after creating an emergency repair user.

Comment

I consider this to be the much better solution!

If you had told us in the beginning what your reason/goal was, we could have given you exactly this advice…
                  Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                  Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                  X