Where do I find the list of kernels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I find the list of kernels?

I tried to install Proton VPN but it messed up my networking. Now I can't find the 1007-low-latency kernel to get rid of it.
    I can't find the list of kernels to uninstall it. Can some tell me where it is? Not in driver manager. Thanks​

Use Muon Package Manager or Synaptic and search for linux-image., those are the kernel packages. You can filter to show only installed packages.

Or on the cli:
    Code:
    apt search linux-image | grep installed
    You can show us what you have, if unsure.
    Do make sure you have booted to a different kernel before going uninstall-happy
    Last edited by claydoh; Jul 02, 2023, 12:04 PM.

Comment

You can show us what you have, if unsure.
      Do make sure you have booted to a different kernel before going uninstall-happy ​]
      Click image for larger version  Name:	1007-low.png Views:	0 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	671933
      Used Muon and found this: I have 6.2.0.24 installed so I can remove the 1007-low-latency?
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 02, 2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by linelocker View Post
        I have 6.2.0.24 installed so I can remove the 1007-low-latency?
        Only if you are booted with the 6.2.0.24 kernel.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok great thanks!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1007-low.png
Views:	121
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	671944
            Just one more thing. Why would it want to install 1007-low-latency when I'm trying to remove it?

Name:	1007-insta_remove.png1.png
Views:	115
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	671945
            I see one is unsigned and the one I want to remove is for nvidia, but I don't understand. I also don't see an "unsigned" version in the list above.
            I thought I should check before proceeding. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by linelocker View Post
              Click image for larger version  Name:	1007-low.png Views:	0 Size:	211.0 KB ID:	671944
              Just one more thing. Why would it want to install 1007-low-latency when I'm trying to remove it?
              Click image for larger version  Name:	1007-insta_remove.png1.png Views:	0 Size:	35.7 KB ID:	671945
              I see one is unsigned and the one I want to remove is for nvidia, but I don't understand. I also don't see an "unsigned" version in the list above.
              I thought I should check before proceeding. Thanks.
              A dependency bug in some Ubuntu package, probably related to Nvidia drivers. Plus often an unsigned one needs to be replaced with the signed by version, and vice versa. The bug is prob compounding this one

Which kernel are you booted to currently?

Comment

Currently booted to 6.2.0-24-generic

[sometime later]
                I went ahead removed the lowlatency and this the result so far:
                ╰─ apt search linux-image | grep installed ─╯

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

alsa-base/lunar,lunar,now 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu7 all [installed,automatic]
                linux-image-6.2.0-24-generic/lunar-updates,lunar-security,now 6.2.0-24.24 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                linux-image-generic/lunar-updates,lunar-security,now 6.2.0.24.24 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                Linux-image-unsigned-6.2.0-1007-lowlatency/lunar-updates,lunar-security,now 6.2.0-1007.7 amd64 [installed,auto-removable]

So now the system restarts without hanging but I'm left with the "unsigned" version. Should I 'auto-remove' it?
                This is partial Muon listing:

Name:	after.png
Views:	100
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	672001
                In any event, thanks for responding
                linelocker
                Last edited by linelocker; Jul 03, 2023, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X