Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Software to bind keys to execute macros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software to bind keys to execute macros?

Does anyone know what the best software is to bind F keys to execute a set of macros like executing SSH and running a batch script, for example?
    Thanks!

I don't know about "best", but typical software for this kind of task is xbindkeys.
    https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/xbindkeys/
    You can install it in Kubuntu directly from the "universe" repository.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 20, 2023, 03:28 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I installed it, and I'm trying it out. It seems interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
        ... execute a set of macros ...
        I'm confused by what you mean by that, in a Kubuntu context. Do you just mean a script of commands?

Anyway, the KDE menu editor (right click the KDE menu, edit applications) serves to set up something that can be run and have a "shortcut key" to invoke it. I like doing things this way because it's been rather more persistent over the years than widgets or "custom shortcuts". If I want a widget (say, in a panel) I can drag it from the menu. And, I can put my "somethings" in one place, which helps to find them.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
          I am in charge of managing a few servers running ubuntu. I run kubuntu on my machines, and never had any reason to join a forum as everything works fine.
          I'd like to automate some of the batch scripts I use to update the servers, update the firewall, SSH into them...etc... Instead of typing or copy/paste, I thought it would be nice to just bind a function key to automate this process. Like F1 SSHs into server 1, F2, into server 2, F3 updates bacth command..etc...
          Thanks.

Comment

xbindkeys

Comment

If you do these task on a regular schedule and don't need to watch them, why not cronjob them?

Please Read Me

Comment

Staying with X11, I've used xdotool, and ydotool looks interesting, but I've never used it.

However, I suspect you'd be better with a bash script with some kind of menu, using a tool like kdialog, zenity, or my current favourite yad, though I should look into dialogbox.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I do my manual updates and maintenance that way: I ssh into my server on other PCs I maintain and run a few bash scripts and update when I need to.
                  1. Setup SSH to use secure key access and disable password access.
                  2. Use non-standard ssh ports.
                  3. Set your ssh config to allow easy log in with the correct port and username, etc.
                  4. Use bash aliases to provide a one-word log in.
                  For example, I type "server" into my console and I'm instantly logged into my server via ssh.
                  Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 20, 2023, 03:17 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    Staying with X11, I've used xdotool, and ydotool looks interesting, but I've never used it.

However, I suspect you'd be better with a bash script with some kind of menu, using a tool like kdialog, zenity, or my current favourite yad, though I should look into dialogbox.
                    I use notify-send so I get pop-up boxes.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      I do my manual updates and maintenance that way: I ssh into my server on other PCs I maintain and run a few bash scripts and update when I need to.
                      1. Setup SSH to use secure key access and disable password access.
                      2. Use non-standard ssh ports.
                      3. Set your ssh config to allow easy log in with the correct port and username, etc.
                      4. Use bash aliases to provide a one-word log in.
                      For example, I type "server" into my console and I'm instantly logged into my server via ssh.
                      That has really helped me, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X