Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Evolution working with Gmail accounts

Hi-

Fresh install of Kubuntu and trying to get Evolution working with my Gmail accounts via IMAP

When I create an account and choose either manual or automatic setup for the server settings, I enter my credentials when prompted and then it hangs on the screen after that with messages htat read:

OAuth2 secret not found

and

Requesting access token, please wait...

I have gnome-keyring installed and it appears to be running.

I've also tried to set this up using Gnome Online Accounts but still no luck

I've also tried to use a application-specific password I setup in Gmail for this machine, but that password is not taken.

Any help here greatly appreciated!

Not sure if this is of any help: I find that for the google account (and also M$) to work I often have to kill all evolution processes after the first start and opening the keyring and then just restart it... not sure why this is the case ...
    I just had a look at my setup and I am using Oauth2, but I do not have an app password for Evolution (I do for K-9 on my phone).

Comment

Evolution is not a Plasma application. You might find more help elsewhere just because there are not many - or maybe any - Evolution users here.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use Evolution, but oshunluvr is right, it is not a plasma app and there are not a lot of people here using it - you may be better off looking in a different forum, since this seems to be more of an evolution-internal problem, and not even KDE-integration-related. For what it's worth, I didn't have any issues setting up my Gmail account in evolution, but the M$ Exchange account was a bit more tricky; here is what I have to do for that - maybe there is something useful in there: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...858#post620858

Comment

You might have to set up Google account third-party app access; with Thunderbird I had to. Search for "Sign in with App Passwords".
          Regards, John Little

Comment

I do not have an app password setup for Evolution. However, as I just installed kubuntu on my M$ Surface, I decided to install Evolution and give this a try, and I found that in order for my Gmail account to complete the setup dialogue, I had to temporarily disable 2-factor authentication, otherwise it would just hang at the last step (Requesting authentication token... and never finish). After I switched off 2FA, it worked and even after turning on 2FA again, it is still working (with the settings show in the screenshot above). Maybe give that a try.
            Last edited by Chopstick; Jan 17, 2023, 05:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X