Virtualbox crashes desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtualbox crashes desktop

After upgrading from 22.04 to Kubuntu 22.10, Virtualbox crashes KDE plasma. What happens is this.
    1. In Virtualbox I start Windows (7, 10 or 11)
    2. I start a program in Windows such as Foxit PDF reader view of a large PDF file.
    3. After a while, Windows crashes.
    4. It brings down KDE plasma, returning me to the KDE login screen.
    5. When I log in again, I get a degraded KDE plasma. I always loose second screens and sometimes loose the title bars from every window.
    6. I have to restart the computer to restore functionality. Killing Xorg isn't enough.

I tried replacing Virtualbox 6.1.38 that comes with Ubuntu 20.10 with Virtualbox 7.0 from Oracle. It crashes KDE plasma the same way.

How can I diagnose the cause of the crashes and fix it?

I am running KDE Plasma 5.26.5 on Kernel 5.19.0-29-generic in X11 on an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X processor witth an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card using Oibas drivers.

Originally posted by davidrnewman View Post
    After upgrading from 22.04 to Kubuntu 22.10, Virtualbox crashes KDE plasma. What happens is this.
    1. In Virtualbox I start Windows (7, 10 or 11)
    2. I start a program in Windows such as Foxit PDF reader view of a large PDF file.
    3. After a while, Windows crashes.
    4. It brings down KDE plasma, returning me to the KDE login screen.
    5. When I log in again, I get a degraded KDE plasma. I always loose second screens and sometimes loose the title bars from every window.
    6. I have to restart the computer to restore functionality. Killing Xorg isn't enough.

I tried replacing Virtualbox 6.1.38 that comes with Ubuntu 20.10 with Virtualbox 7.0 from Oracle. It crashes KDE plasma the same way.

How can I diagnose the cause of the crashes and fix it?

I am running KDE Plasma 5.26.5 on Kernel 5.19.0-29-generic in X11 on an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X processor witth an AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT graphics card using Oibas drivers.
    You should start your Moved post to its own topic on this so things are easier to follow.

Troubleshooting info can be found for your graphics driver PPA

https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archiv...aphics-drivers
    Basically checking the xorg logs at
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log ,or more likely /var/log/
    Xorg.0.
    log.old since you'll have started a new session

Install the application KSystemLog, which makes viewing multiple logs a lot easier.

Also look at the kernel and system logs from the exact time of the crash.

I'd strongly consider reverting back to a stock driver stack as well, at least to check if this is the cause here. Oibaf is too bleeding edge imnsho. There are other sources that use more stable mesa releases, and honestly even though I do use such myself, the benefits are not necessarily actually detectable in real world gaming.

Also, Virtualbox normally shouldn't be bringing down xorg, I don't think. Check your settings for the vm and try different graphics options. Are you physically sharing the GPU with the machine (passthrough)?

In any case this problem probably also needs addressing with more Virtualbox technical experts so making use of their support forums will also be a very good idea.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 15, 2023, 08:03 AM.

Comment

I've never heard of VBox bringing down Xorg completely or crashing the system, so something is seriously amiss.

As far as Claydoh's comments: Our systems are very similar and I use Oibaf supplied drivers and never had an issue. Not that it's not the issue in your case, but it would be unusual IME. I would start with the Video settings in VirtualBox. It wouldn't hurt to revert to stock drivers as Claydoh suggests in any case.

Frankly, it sounds more like a XORG/VIdeo card problem than a VBox one. "After a while" isn't a very precise description so check the logs and take more notice of what you're doing when it occurs. This would also include looking into ~/.xsession-errors. Maybe it's completely unrelated to VBox.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X