Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen blanking

Hello,
    Running 22.10 with, the following hardware (no dedicated gfx card just the intel ), but seemingly at random my monitor goes blank and says scanning for signal and about 5-10sec later the desktop is back, there seems to be no pattern to this it just happens - I was advised on reddit to update to kernel 6 but this did not help (hence the kernel version below) any advice ? The monitor worked on a previous PC just fine.

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.6
    Kernel Version: 6.0.0-060000-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 20 × 13th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-13600K
    Memory: 31.1 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® Graphics
    Product Name: N7 Z690​
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Possibly a known Plasma bug that will be fixed with 5.27 but hard to say based on this description.

I would advise against using a non-Ubuntu kernel unless you really know what you are doing. I see no evidence here the kernel is the cause.

I assume you're using X and not Wayland. The next time it occurs note the system clock time. Then start with "dmesg" output and look into ~/.xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see if there's anything of note logged at or just before the blanking. Also, start noting the times it happens, how long, what you are doing, etc. The more detail you have the more likely you are to suss out the issue.

Normally, if nothing shows in the logs, it's hardware but the Plasma bug probably wouldn't log anything. Also the kscreen2 package is buggy and really only needed if you have 2 or more monitors. Removing it won't hurt and might be the issue.

Another idea would be to test a different desktop environment. Try Mint "Cinnamon" either by installing it and dual booting or run it from a live USB session.If it occurs while using a different DE then it might be a hardware problem, like a cable or connection issue.

Please Read Me

Comment

I guess you were advised to update to kernel 6.x because it promises better support for 13th generation Intel CPUs and GPUs…

LinuxMint 21.1 (no matter which DE) would be no solution imho, because it runs on kernel 5.15 atm - you should at least use kernel 5.19 for your CPU/GPU, unless some older kernel does contain heavily backported stuff.

A Fedora 37 KDE live image could provide the necessary hardware support to be of use for a test, I think: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/kde/
      To test another DE, like oshunluvr suggested for example Cinnamon, there are other Fedora "Spins": https://spins.fedoraproject.org/en/
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jan 05, 2023, 09:43 AM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
      X