This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UI/Program Scaling Differences/Problem/Issue

I'm making a post here because to be honest, I haven't found anything elsewhere that explains how to fix my problem.

The attached screenshot is to show you the difference between a GUI/System window and a program window on Kubuntu with KDE and X11

It's like.... the program windows (not Kubuntu/KDE windows) and the system windws are at COMPLETELY different scales.

The system windows are huge, as you can see in the attached screenshot, and something like my browser is absolutely miniscule.

I'm on a laptop, but both my built in screen, and 2nd monitor have the same issue. They also are the same resolution - they are both 4k monitors (yes I have a laptop with a built in 4k, yes i know it's probably overkill).

I know that having an Nvidia card isn't the best when it comes to a linux distro, but i got the laptop before I decided to make the switch, and the Nvidia card was my option when i purchased this thing.

Everything is up to date, and I'm on the latest version of everything (that I could find).

So.... does anyone have any idea why system stuff is absolutely giant and other programs are not? Has anyone else had this problem?

Setup:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 22.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.25.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.6
    Kernel Version: 5.19.0-38-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 16 × Intel® Core™ i9-9880H CPU @ 2.30GHz
    Memory: 31.2 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080/PCIe/SSE2
    Manufacturer: HP
    Product Name: OMEN by HP Laptop 17-cb0xxx

Graphics Driver: Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-525 (proprietary, tested)

Did you already try basic things like logging in with a new user account?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Did you already try basic things like logging in with a new user account?
      To be honest, I didn't even think to try using a different user account.....

I don't have a guest account or anything set up on this computer. I'm the sole user and the thought never crossed my mind. Do you think that it oculd be my user settings?

I did have this issue on a previous install of Kubuntu on this computer, but then i poked around to much and completely messed up the install so I reinstalled and started from scratch again. I had this same issue both then and now

Comment

Well, user settings can be the reason for many different bugs - it is always worth a try to log in with a different user as one of the first steps in diagnosing a system error.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

so i made myself another user account and logged in with that

no dice

same issue

Comment

To be clear, it's not monitor related, it's program related. Like the system settings window is huge on either screen and the browser is small on either screen?

What does xrandr report?

Also the output of this command: xdpyinfo |grep -B2 resolution
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 13, 2023, 11:37 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Honestly, it it's just the KDE apps that are wonky, change the theme and see if that helps.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                To be clear, it's not monitor related, it's program related. Like the system settings window is huge on either screen and the browser is small on either screen?

What does xrandr report?

Also the output of this command: xdpyinfo |grep -B2 resolution
                Nope, not monitor related at all.

If i'm using just the built in monitor, same problem. If I'm using just the external monitor, same problem. If I'm using both, same problem. It happens on both screens, and across screens.

And the browser is tiny and the system windows are huge no matter which screen i'm on

Comment

Do you have a problem with Firefox? Does it also render too small?

Comment

If you search the internet for "KDE scaling Nvidia" you will find several bug reports, one example:
                    https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...-plasma/227317

I had no time to look at all the search results, but I guess one solution could e.g. be either the next Plasma/Frameworks version (you can get Plasma 5.27 for Kubuntu 22.10 with Kubuntu Backports or try Kubuntu 23.04 which will be released on Thursday) or the next Nvidia driver release…

Comment

Working...
                    X