Texting from desktop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texting from desktop?

Anyone know if there is any kind of add on or program that would allow me to send and receive texts from my desktop?
    Greg
    W9WD

Texts via your smartphone?

KDE Connect does that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231130_123536.png
Views:	164
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	675564 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20231130_123631-1.png
Views:	164
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	675563
    You can usually reply to a text from the notification popup, but otherwise it is a little clunky to get to.

Signal Desktop supports Linux as well, it does require it to be installed on your phone.
    Air-droid is another. I am sure there are similar options for iPhones.

Otherwise, you would need to use a service that has a web interface, or various apps
    Google messages has a web interface available, I have used it in the past.

Comment

Don't have a smart phone.
      Don't even have a dumb phone.
      The wife has a smart phone, but when she's not here, I don't have anything.
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

Google Voice can be used starting with a landline. It forwards from a generated "fake" phone number to a different, legitimate number, plus a web interface. Of course, landlines can't normally receive SMS (but your carrier might provide it as a service, perhaps).
        But Google Voice might work to receive them on the web.
        Otherwise, you would need to subscribe to an SMS service of some sort that has a web interface, or similar thing.

Google Voice might work without a landline even, though I am not totally clear on that. It is what I would try first, though, too see iof things work since it doesn't involve paying for a service. and domestic stuff is free.

Comment

Just remembered I have an Apple mini-ipad.
          Trying to figure out how to make it do texts.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
            Just remembered I have an Apple mini-ipad.
            Trying to figure out how to make it do texts.
            I *think* an iPad, even if it has an LTE or data capabilities, still requires an iPhone to be associated with it in order to be able to use SMS. It might be able to use imessage (maybe) but only to other Apple devices.

Comment

Thanks
              Guess I need to think again about a smart phone.
              Greg
              W9WD

Comment

When you got a "smart"phone: I also can recommend Signal which is quite easy to use, free and open source - I use it on my iPhone, Linux, Windows and macOS computers to exchange messages ("texts"), pictures and data with other people (also with Android phones, of course).
                You have to install it on your phone first, then on your computers (as claydoh pointed out). Afterwards you can "link" your computers to your phone's Signal.

For your phones you can get it in the Apple "App Store" and e.g. Google "Play Store".
                Here is Signal's website: https://signal.org/
                And here are the installation instructions for Debian-based Linux (e.g. Kubuntu): https://signal.org/download/#
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I can't vouch for this, but:

https://www.opentextingonline.com

Please Read Me

Comment

Tried texting to the wife and she did not get it.
                    Greg
                    W9WD

Comment

I think the US is a little different in regard to texting.
                      In the EU texting is only possible via mobile connections, not on fixed line phones.
                      Any phone that handles Signal can also use it to do texting.
                      So if you want to text from your computer to your wife's mobile you 'only' need to find a way to link your computer to a phone with Signal...
                      Recently I have read Signal is working on a way without the need for a phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                        When you got a "smart"phone: I also can recommend Signal which is quite easy to use, free and open source - I use it on my iPhone, Linux, Windows and macOS computers to exchange messages ("texts"), pictures and data with other people (also with Android phones, of course).
                        You have to install it on your phone first, then on your computers (as claydoh pointed out). Afterwards you can "link" your computers to your phone's Signal.
                        https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/kdeconnect
                        For your phones you can get it in the Apple "App Store" and e.g. Google "Play Store".
                        Here is Signal's website: https://signal.org/
                        And here are the installation instructions for Debian-based Linux (e.g. Kubuntu): https://signal.org/download/#
                        I second the Signal option. It connects my Debian Bookworm and iPhone nicely.
                        The KDEConnect documentation states: "At the moment it only supports Android-based mobile devices."
                        I can attest to that. I tried to connect my iPhone to my Bookworm so I could sms from my laptop and I couldn't make it work. To be sure, I can pair both together, and I can send pings back and forth. I can also drop files in either direction. BUT, SMS refused to work. In the end I deleted KDEConnect from both my iPhone and Bookworm and installed Signal. It works flawlessly.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Google offers a solution.
                          My friend help me set this up.
                          They will issue you a phone number from which you can text (send and receive) you can attach pictures etc.

Google Voice
                          Works well
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

I have installed Google Board, and I can change the keyboard in KDE Connect to Google Board, which has built-in text input. However, it doesn't send the text directly. So, when I want to use speech-to-text, I have to go to 'Compose Send,' enter the text with text-to-speech, press the arrow to send, and when I send the text, for example, to ChatGPT, it appears in the chat field. Then, I have to press Enter. So, I need to switch back to the keyboard in KDE Connect and press Enter there. Has anyone figured out how to send speech-to-text directly from the keyboard?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240116_182249.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	676259
                            Last edited by derNarr; Jan 16, 2024, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X