I Have Something To Whine About

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] I Have Something To Whine About

I have tried to install Wine from Discovery (software center) & GNOME Software and other Flatpak and Snap packages but it wasn’t working so uninstalled it from Discovery . I finally googled “how to install wine for Kubuntu” and I came across this website that gave me detailed instructions, and it was a lot of steps, but it worked. Eureka! It sure feels good when you can finally figure things out even if I don’t fully understand every command.

I shocked at how good it is how easy it is once you get it working properly. I installed a little program called “RadioSure” that can use to play internet radio stations. I already have “Shortwave” but it couldn’t play some of stations that RadioSure can so I installed wine and I’m glad I did.

If you are having problems installing Wine, here is the website I went to for instructions. I have no connection with the website other than it helping me install wine. I have have since added a little stand alone Windows program (StripMail v0.99p) and all you have to do it click on it and it works! I'm stoked!

How to Install Wine on Kubuntu 22.04.

You might find a distro version that is closer to yours so you will have to look but the instructions for Kubuntu 20.04 LTS worked on my version (Kubuntu 22.04.2 LTS).

Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 26, 2023, 05:58 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link

Here are the official installation suggestions for Wine in *Ubuntu :
    https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

PS: the KDE Plasma Software Center is called Discover.

PPS: installing Wine just for internet radio seems to be a bit of an "overkill" - a very good Plasma extension for internet radio is the Advanced Radio Player.
    You could get it this way:
    install it with Discover
    OR
    -> right click on your Plasma panel -> Add Widgets -> Get New Widgets… -> Download New Plasma Widgets

You might need the addional package qml-module-org-kde-notification for it - you can install this package e.g. in the Konsole terminal emulator with
    sudo apt install qml-module-org-kde-notification

edit (again): Yes, thank you of course for posting - I did not mean to sound "harsh".
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 26, 2023, 06:32 AM. Reason: edit
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Many thanks for the suggetions. They are helpful. I'm going to try out Advanced Radio Player soon. I also use wine for a few other things.

Comment

Somehow the link in your post was broken so I redid it. Thanks for sharing the info, I'm sure others will find it useful.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 26, 2023, 06:48 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

oshunluvr, thanks for fixing the link. I don't know what you did to fix it but It seems I struggle just posting links sometimes. And thanks for the "please read link" it was useful information.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRedd View Post
            oshunluvr, thanks for fixing the link. I don't know what you did to fix it but It seems I struggle just posting links sometimes. And thanks for the "please read link" it was useful information.
            ...and thank YOU for taking the time to read it!

Re. the Link, the easiest/best way I have found when using this forum software is to: copy the link URL;
            1. Enter some meaningful text into your post
            2. Highlight the meaningful text
            3. Click the "link" button in the tool bar
            4. Paste the link
            IMO this results in an easier to read link rather than "http:\\blah blah blah..."

These are the "Link" and "un-Link" toolbar icons if you're unfamiliar:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230726_130229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.8 KB ID:	672814

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried the instructions and they failed for me. KDEneon tho...

Code:
              stuart@office:~$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree... Done
              Reading state information... Done
              Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
              Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
              Investigating (0) winehq-stable:amd64 < none -> 8.0.2~jammy-1 @un puN Ib >
              Broken winehq-stable:amd64 Depends on wine-stable:amd64 < none @un H > (= 8.0.2~jammy-1)
               Considering wine-stable:amd64 0 as a solution to winehq-stable:amd64 9999
               Considering wine-stable:i386 0 as a solution to winehq-stable:amd64 9999
              Done
              Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
              requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
              distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
              or been moved out of Incoming.
              The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
              winehq-stable : Depends: wine-stable (= 8.0.2~jammy-1)
              E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

​

Please Read Me

Comment

Looks like the issue is here:
                Code:
                stuart@office:~$ sudo apt install wine-stable-i386
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree... Done
                Reading state information... Done
                Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
                Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 2
                Investigating (0) libsane1:i386 < none -> 1.1.1-5 @un puN Ib >
                Broken libsane1:i386 Depends on libpoppler-glib8:i386 < none | 22.02.0-2ubuntu0.1 @un uH > (>= 0.18.0)
                 Considering libpoppler-glib8:i386 0 as a solution to libsane1:i386 0
                Investigating (0) vuescan:amd64 < 9.7.96.0-0 @ii K Ib >
                Broken vuescan:amd64 Conflicts on ipp-usb:amd64 < none -> 0.9.20-1ubuntu0.22.04.1 @rc uN >
                 Considering ipp-usb:amd64 9 as a solution to vuescan:amd64 -2
                 Removing vuescan:amd64 rather than change ipp-usb:amd64
                Investigating (1) libsane1:i386 < none -> 1.1.1-5 @un puN Ib >
                Broken libsane1:i386 Depends on libpoppler-glib8:i386 < none | 22.02.0-2ubuntu0.1 @un uH > (>= 0.18.0)
                Done
                Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                or been moved out of Incoming.
                The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                libsane1:i386 : Depends: libpoppler-glib8:i386 (>= 0.18.0) but it is not going to be installed
                                Recommends: sane-airscan:i386 but it is not installable
                E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                stuart@office:~$

​

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Looks like the issue is here:
                  libpoppler issues again/still? It seems every time some updated component used by Plasma needs a 32-bit component that wine also needs, lol. Looks like they missed this again.

Stock Wine from Ubuntu installs fine, but winehq recommneds downgrading libpoppler so that the 64 bit and 32 bit versions match
                  Me, on the extremely rare instance I need actual wine installed, I use the flatpak. It has all this stuff included. It is a sort of good use for flatpak, there isn't much if anything in the way of 'bloat' or duplication.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    I tried the instructions and they failed for me. KDEneon tho...
                    How to Install Wine on KDE neon 5.26 - 5.27 (Ubuntu 22.04 based)

This is how I fininally got my Wine working in Kubuntu, with a differant set of instructions of course. I hope it works.​

This page documents how to install Wine on KDE neon based on Ubuntu 22.04. Wine is a compatibility layer that enables a Linux distribution to run Windows applications as if they were native KDE neon applications.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffRedd View Post

How to Install Wine on KDE neon 5.26 - 5.27 (Ubuntu 22.04 based)

This is how I fininally got my Wine working in Kubuntu, with a differant set of instructions of course. I hope it works.​
                      yeah, but this is inaccurate/out of date for KDE neon (the 20.04 version hasn't been around since the 22.04 release). The installation instructions are lifted directly from WineHQ's docs, which I linked to above. They don't account for the 32-bit libpoppler issue specific to neon, that WineHQ does mention. The page was written before this problem came up.

Oshunluvr and I are long time neon users, as well. This sort of thing is not uncommon at times, since neon isn't an actual distro, and only care about providing Plasma, so things like wine dependencies can get busted here and there.

Comment

Well, thanks for that but for some reason Vuescan (A professional photo scanning utility). Since I'll use Vuescan more than Wine, I guess I'll have to opt out.

Code:
                        Investigating (0) vuescan:amd64 < 9.7.96.0-0 @ii K Ib >
                        Broken vuescan:amd64 Conflicts on ipp-usb:amd64 < none -> 0.9.20-1ubuntu0.22.04.1 @rc uN >
                         Considering ipp-usb:amd64 10 as a solution to vuescan:amd64 -2
                         Removing vuescan:amd64 rather than change ipp-usb:amd64
                        Done

Recommended packages:
                         sane-airscan:i386
                        The following packages will be REMOVED:
                         vuescan

​

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X