Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kate pjrint dialog slow and paper size stuck on a4

hi,
    new install of kubuntu 22.04.2 with kate v21.12.3, kde v5.92.0 and qt v5.15.3.

when trying to print from kate (or kwrite) it takes a minute for the print dialog box to appear. when it does it always defaults to A4 paper. /etc/papersize is set to letter.

i seem to remember this issue back in kubuntu 18.something and it was a qt library that needed to be updated. can someone point me to the fix?

thanks.

have you configured the printer in System Settings?
    I don't know why the print dialog can take a long time, though.
    What printer? is it wireless? I am wondering if a printer hasn't been set up, the print system is looking for all available devices each time, perhaps, Just a wild guess, though.
    It could be a printer-specific issue as well

I don't think /etc/papersize even matters. Mine is set to A4, but my printer is set up for Letter, and it works as expected.

Comment

I know this isn't helpful, but not seeing that here. My /etc/papersize says a4 but my print dialog page size still says 8.5x11.

I do vaguely remember something about this being a problem in 18.04, but I suspect the issue is the printer setup or driver.

What do you see here?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230602_101930.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	671208

Please Read Me

Comment

it's an old hp lj4000, hardwired, static ip. it does print, and cups is configured correctly with 8.5x11 paper. when the dialog finally appears and the settings are changed to letter, it prints. if you forget to change the paper size, then the printer complains about needing a4 paper.

i'm sure this a4 issue was with a qt library. but i have no idea on this dialog delay.

Comment

Working...
        X