Muon Firefox Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Firefox Lock?

I guess the Muon lock that I have doesn't lock Firefox Snap?
    Is there a way to fix this so it does lock updates to Firefox Snap?
    Greg
    W9WD

Muon hasn't been maintained for more than 5 years. You probably shouldn't be using it.

You can lock a package with dpkg or apt, maybe even Discover

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Muon hasn't been maintained for more than 5 years. You probably shouldn't be using it.

You can lock a package with dpkg or apt, maybe even Discover
      GregM is having FF update automatically, as it is a Snap, so pinning/locking the deb file won't have any effect.

Originally posted by GregM View Post
      I guess the Muon lock that I have doesn't lock Firefox Snap?
      Is there a way to fix this so it does lock updates to Firefox Snap?
      Snaps are a completely different packaging format from Debian/Ubuntu's debs. Muon/apt pinning or locking won't have an effect on that, unfortunately.
      The deb package for Firefox is simply a dummy that points to installing the Snap, which will update itself.

GregM is a good candidate for de-Snapping and migrating to a deb version via PPA AND switching to firefox-esr, which won't see updates as often, and is based on an older release . This should slow the UI changes gregM seem to fight with regularly.
      firefox-esr is at 102.x, and will stay there for a while, with regular security fixes as opposed to feature and UI upgrades..

It is entirely possible to hold a snap, though I don't know if there is a way to go back to older versions.
      Oops, yes, there is, if there are any available.

To hold a snap:
      snap refresh --hold firefox
      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 29, 2023, 06:26 AM. Reason: what was THAT mess?

Comment

I am by no means an expert on Snap (I try to avoid it) - but I don't think there is any graphical way to lock a Snap package (yet?)…

I also think neither dpkg nor apt will be able to do this as this has to be a Snap specific command like snap refresh --hold … - and your version of snapd seems to have to be at least 2.58.

See: https://snapcraft.io/docs/keeping-sn...#heading--hold

PS: But I would not hold updates for a web browser anyway - this is one of the programs getting the most frequent security fixes!
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 29, 2023, 09:19 AM. Reason: added PS
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

So if I use my terminal and use
          It will stop the Firefox Snap updates? Or am I misunderstanding this?
          Last edited by GregM; Mar 29, 2023, 09:24 AM.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            […]
            GregM is a good candidate for de-Snapping and migrating to a deb version via PPA AND switching to firefox-esr, which won't see updates as often, and is based on an older release . This should slow the UI changes gregM seem to fight with regularly.
            firefox-esr is at 102.x, and will stay there for a while, with regular security fixes as opposed to feature and UI upgrades..
            […]
            I have not tried the Firefox ESR binary from the Mozilla Team PPA yet, but it could be possible that one has to deinstall Ubuntu's "dummy" Firefox packages with sudo pkcon remove --autoremove firefox (additionally to removing the Firefox Snap if one wishes to do so) before adding the Mozilla Team PPA. Just do it to be sure!
            Otherwise one could get both Firefox and Firefox ESR from the Mozilla Team PPA at the same time… (not good if one wanted Firefox ESR only).

Possibly I will add the Firefox ESR binary to my scripts in the future.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 29, 2023, 04:39 PM. Reason: replaced apt-get with pkcon for safety reasons
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
              So if I use my terminal and use
              It will stop the Firefox Snap updates? Or am I misunderstanding this?
              yes. it will hold it at the currewnt version.
              My other link also describes how to list and use older versions of a snap (if that is better for your UI customizations), if any are available. Which you can then hold.

Comment

reg@greg-OptiPlex:~$ snap refresh --hold firefox
                General refreshes of "firefox" held indefinitely
                greg@greg-OptiPlex:~$

Thank you

Greg
                W9WD

Comment

Working...
                X