No announcement yet.

Strange lockups I can't explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be the notifications, I had the same issue and I don't use brave, but I was crashing with black boxes for notifications. I put my notifications on dunnot disturb mode and it seems stable for now. But it would be great if there was a fix.
    Yeah, I was about to say that's exactly what I came up with!! After disabling desktop notifications, stuff became stable again. It's good to know it's that, and not Brave or anything else. Ugh, leave it to KDE to add an annoying recursion like that.
    That's probably because you have not installed plasma-workspace-wayland
    After you install it you'll notice what the red arrow is pointing to:​
    HA! Okay, that would explain something. Is Wayland stable enough as a daily driver, or just for experimenting right now?

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
      Yeah, I was about to say that's exactly what I came up with!! After disabling desktop notifications, stuff became stable again. It's good to know it's that, and not Brave or anything else. Ugh, leave it to KDE to add an annoying recursion like that.

HA! Okay, that would explain something. Is Wayland stable enough as a daily driver, or just for experimenting right now?
      https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers

Comment

Minor update. Since turning off notifications I've had no instability problems. That being said I'd like to turn those back on eventually, but I haven't heard anything about the issue being addressed yet, so I've been reluctant to do that just yet. Have you guys heard anything yet? KDE says they fixed the bug in QT 5.15.7 (it was some backend "BadDamage" bug that caused Plasma Shell to freak out and segfault) and possibly something in OpenGL/Mesa. Here's what I found so far.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=461316#c33

They're basically saying that, if you have QT 5.15.7 or higher, and Mesa v23 (Kubuntu currently has 22.2.5) then the issue goes away. That thread, honestly, from comment 33 onward is a very fascinating read. I mean, it's way, way above my pay grade, but still it's very fascinating info. Anyhow, since several of us are having the issue, I figured it was worth updating you guys on where this is at as you likely want this fixed just like I do. I also saw some possible temp fixes mentioned in there, but I really don't want to do those unless I absolutely have to. I just want to see the updates get pushed downstream and me be able to flip the magic switch and stuff works.

Anyhow, that's my update. I'm not sure how long after that patch is live that Kubuntu will update things on their end, but at least we have some light at the end of the tunnel with this.

Comment

Mesa 23.0.1 is currently in Kubuntu 23.04 Beta.
          So are QT 5.15.8 and Ubuntu's kernel 6.2.0-19.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 06, 2023, 01:52 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Oh, nice! So it might be backported very soon! Awesome!

Comment

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/000286.html

Okay, I haven't seen the 22.04.2 update hit my updates channel, so I did some checking, and apparently they released that back in February (that's a bit early). So if we're going to get the updated packages to fix this issue, we're either going to have to wait for a normal package push, or else for 22.04.3 to come out. I'm hoping it's not the latter. I'd like to get my notifications back. lol.

Comment

Okay, I haven't seen the 22.04.2 update hit my updates channel
                The "point releases", .1, .2 and so on, do not affect existing installs; all the updates have already been available to them. The point releases just mean the isos are repackaged to include the updates up to that point. So some LTS releases get more point releases than others, usually because the release has had a lot of updates.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ry/000286.html

Okay, I haven't seen the 22.04.2 update hit my updates channel, so I did some checking, and apparently they released that back in February (that's a bit early). So if we're going to get the updated packages to fix this issue, we're either going to have to wait for a normal package push, or else for 22.04.3 to come out. I'm hoping it's not the latter. I'd like to get my notifications back. lol.
                  Thanks for the updates! Hoping for the same.

Comment

mesa-vulkan-drivers/jammy-updates,now 22.2.5-0ubuntu0.1~22.04.3 amd64 [installed,automatic]

The latest Mesa updates have dropped, and it looks like we're still stuck on the 22.x branch of the Mesa drivers. So, unless they backported that fix, we still don't have the fix yet. I'm bummed.

Comment

The latest Mesa updates have dropped, and it looks like we're still stuck on the 22.x branch of the Mesa drivers.
                      Yes, being an LTS, you won't get a new major version. Back-porting a fix likely isn't feasible or possible for this sort of thing, unless distros have that sort of specific skillset (video drivers).
                      Also, is this fixed on Kwin's side, for Plasma 5.24? Nope
                      And what version of Qt is in Ubuntu 22.04? Not 5.15.7
                      These won't be updated to newer versions in 22.04

It might be worth testing Neon or 23.04 and seeing if things are better there.

The only bit that is fairly easy to upgrade in Kubuntu Jammy is Mesa, actually. There are a few quality PPAs for this.
                      I use this one, it doesn't update three times a day or anything crazy. It is easy enough to use PPA-purge to downgrade back, if one doesn't have snapshots.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Jun 19, 2023, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        […]
                        Also, is this fixed on Kwin's side, for Plasma 5.24? And what version of Qt is in Ubuntu 22.04?

It might be worth testing Neon or 23.04 and seeing if things are better there.
                        […]
                        I made a quick comparison table about Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings as of today. Here you go :

Debian 12 Kubuntu 22.04.2 (with Kubuntu Backports) Kubuntu 23.04 (with Kubuntu Backports) KDE neon TUXEDO OS 2
                        Plasma 5.27.5 5.24.7 5.27.5 5.27.5 5.27.5
                        Gear 22.12.3 22.04.3 23.04.2 23.04.2 23.04.1
                        Frameworks 5.103 5.98 5.107 5.107 5.106
                        Qt 5.15.8 5.15.3 5.15.8 5.15.10 5.15.9
                        Mesa 22.3.6 22.2.5 23.0.2 22.2.5 23.1.2
                        Kernel 6.1.x 5.19.x 6.2.x 5.19.x 6.2.x

If you want to (or need to) have a more recent kernel and Mesa, TUXEDO OS 2 ("the Pop!_OS of the KDE Plasma world") would be the best choice followed by Kubuntu 23.04.
                        Or you will have to use a real rolling release like openSUSE Tumbleweed or Arch (vanilla or e.g. Garuda or EndeavorOS).

PS: I think it is a fun idea to have some kind of overview - I am going to start a seperate post with this.
                        You can find it here: Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings.
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 19, 2023, 04:17 PM. Reason: added PS
                        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

No, not for me. I tested Wayland about a year ago for a single day and switched back. A year later, sometime in early March, I tried Wayland again.

When I made that suggestion a few posts above in this thread I had been running Wayland for a week or so and it ran well. It gave me about a 10-20% increase in speed and the colors on the screen were more vivid. In never hung or crashed. Every application I ran in Wayland, including Minecraft and UniversalSandbox^2, etc., ran well. A couple months later, somewhere around the first week in June, I noticed that my right mouse context menu in Dolphin was not behaving well. That misbehavior appeared in other apps as well. I logged out, switch to xorg, and logged back in. The right mouse context menu behaved perfectly in Dolphin and all other apps that I tested. So, I stayed in xorg. In my post mentioning this problem I stated that I will test it out again in about another year.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

claydoh​, so I take it we're gonna have to, short of some astounding miracle, wait for 24.04 before we see that? If so, that's a bummer, but understandable as this is an LTS.

Comment

claydoh​, so I take it we're gonna have to, short of some astounding miracle, wait for 24.04 before we see that? If so, that's a bummer, but understandable as this is an LTS.
                              Correct. LTS is this way by design.

Comment

Working...
                              X