Thunderbird and Opening Links within emails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Thunderbird and Opening Links within emails

So, out of all the systems I've upgraded without issues, my work system decided to just not play nice, and this was a clean install as well.

As the subject stated, for the life of me I cannot get Thunderbird to open links with any browser I set as default. I've tried all the suppose work-arounds and "fixes", nothing.

Anyone else? Any clue?

This is an HP ZBook. Had no issues with it under 21.10 so didn't think 22.04 would have issues.

Anyone?
    Last edited by MoonRise; Aug 29, 2022, 04:40 AM.

I had the same problem initially with 22.04 on Thunderbird when attempting to open links. I found that the default setting for the web browser (system settings>applications>default applications>web browser) was set incorrectly. Once corrected it worked for the most part.

However, be aware that 22.04 installs (by default) the snap versions of both Chromium and Firefox instead of the native applications. This can lead to permissions issues in accessing certain file areas on the system due to the sand boxed permissions which are preset in the snap applications. I recently filed a bug report with Mozilla regarding this very issue.

This previous post may also be related to the default settings issue:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...domly-changing

cheers,
    bill
    Last edited by bweinel; Aug 23, 2022, 09:36 AM. Reason: Additional info
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks! Other thread gave me an idea since I keep similar systems and the one I'm on now works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Other thread gave me an idea
        Which one?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

About the mime file. Since this was a fresh install but the /home remained the same I thought maybe that replacing that file with a known good system set similarly would help. It did not. So then I thought, ok, same lines, let's remove current .config and .local folders and let system rebuild.

Results of all of that and Thunderbird on this machine still refused to open a link. It did before the install but not now.

Also I noted that if I put in a USB memory drive, it asked to mount and open but all I get is a bouncy cursor as if it is going to but it doesn't. I have to go to Dolphin to get it to mount and open. And it is just this machine. Wonder if I just need to reinstall again. Maybe something odd happened.

Comment

So, reinstall did work. Inserted external drives now open from the task bar widget and Thunderbird is happy. Not sure why the initial issues. I can say I installed from the 22.04 image this time instead of the 22.04.1 image. Shouldn't matter, but who knows.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's working for you now. Both the current default Firefox (and Chromium) snaps still have issues here when attempting access to certain file areas on the local system. This is apparently caused by the snap applications sand boxed environment. I've done a lot of head scratching to see if there is a way to append the snap environment, but so far have been unsucessful.

cheers,
              bill
              sigpic

Comment

Well, as far as ZOOM, that doesn't work. It has to do with being a SNAP. However, I set Thunderbird to ask each time a link is clicked what Browser to use and I open ZOOM in Chrome, unfortunately. Not real sure what Mozilla was thinking on this move. I kind of understand it, but they are hurting themselves as people will easily move to another.

Comment

I don't know if moving the browsers to snap was a Mozilla move or a Canonical move... but you're probably right.

cheers,
                  bill
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X