Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My root PW is not recognised for somethings Says I need to be in group "wheel".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My root PW is not recognised for somethings Says I need to be in group "wheel".

There have been 2 instances of this pop-up, one to run a program with root privileges and the other in Discovery Settings for Software Sources.
    I went to add myself to this "wheel Group" but is not there, and I cannot create one.
    I know a little of the history of the Wheel group after an online search.
    Is there a work-around?
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

wheel does not exist out of the box in (K)Ubuntu and Debian, it does e.g. in openSUSE.
    This message box is meant to be for a wide range of different distributions I think and I suppose it is meant to describe "being a user with elevated privileges" - I am quite sure it would not help with your problem at all to create and join the group wheel on Kubuntu.

If I remember correctly there already is a discussion about similar problems in this forum, but unfortunately I can't remember what the title was…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 30, 2022, 04:46 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

What to you mean by 'root password' exactly, since there is no root account by default?

Originally posted by phonic-otg View Post
      There have been 2 instances of this pop-up, one to run a program with root privileges
      Which one? Plus the obligatory 'why-are-you-running-a-gui-app-with-root', unless it is something like KDE Partition Manager, where it is sorta mandatory.
      Is your user account in the 'sudo' group, use the command groups (without sudo) to see, or check that the user account is marked in System Settings as an Administrator.

Many distros use the 'sudo' group in place of 'wheel' for admin accounts.

and the other in Discovery Settings for Software Sources.
      Maybe related? This should have been remedied/worked-around via updates, some time back tho.

Last edited by claydoh; Jun 30, 2022, 05:38 AM.

Comment

On Ubuntu, make sure you are in the root group, equivalent of wheel on most. You would have to log out and log back in for changes to take effect. However, I do not know if this will solve your problem, as it may be a bug in KDE SU.
        That being said, I am assuming using sudo from the terminal works as expected?

For info purposes only . . .
        Read the following article for the general idea on how to maintain compatibility on Ubuntu systems with traditional wheel group:
        https://administratosphere.wordpress...group-updated/
        Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 30, 2022, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          What to you mean by 'root password' exactly, since there is no root account by default?

Which one? Plus the obligatory 'why-are-you-running-a-gui-app-with-root', unless it is something like KDE Partition Manager, where it is sorta mandatory.
          Is your user account in the 'sudo' group, use the command groups (without sudo) to see, or check that the user account is marked in System Settings as an Administrator.

Many distros use the 'sudo' group in place of 'wheel' for admin accounts.

Maybe related? This should have been remedied/worked-around via updates, some time back tho.

It's obvious what he means by root password, he's having the same bug that everyone else is having not being able to use software sources which you linked too. This has been remedied on my system but I use the backports repo, so adding the backports repo is one way of fixing it..... which you can't do in software sources because...

Editing/updating repositories never broke on the command line, so that's the work around. If you want to add backports to remove the bug

Code:
          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
          sudo apt update

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
            It's obvious what he means by root password, he's having the same bug that everyone else is having not being able to use software sources which you linked too
            No, it is not clear, so I was seeking some clarification from a long time KFN member.
            If it were only the software sources exhibiting this behaviour, I would not have asked at all. More info helps determine if it is simply the same bug as the Software Sources one, or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Firstly, I am in both root & sudo groups. The GUI software I was trying to run that needed root privileges was Rosa Image writer. I didn't know how to run it as a root user, so went to recovery mode and used the root option from there to run Rosa,

Comment

Rosa supposedly supports kdesu, so it should work just fine in Ubuntu. If that is not accepting your admin password in KDESU dialogs like you have shown, then it is possible you have messed up something with your installation with regards to kdesu/admin priveleges. Since you said you have had the issue with Discover asking for a password as well, and not accepting it, then the problem would be your kdesu configuration. You have not answered whether or not sudo accepts your password in the command line.
                I am assuming these dialogs occur when you launch the apps as a normal user?
                The GUI software I was trying to run that needed root privileges was Rosa Image writer. I didn't know how to run it as a root user,
                You do not run it as a root user. You run it as your normal user account and then it will launch a kdesu dialog like you posted above. You then put your password in for elevated admin privileges. Like I said, if it is not accepting your password, there is the problem.
                I didn't know how to run it as a root user, so went to recovery mode and used the root option from there to run Rosa
                Probably not the safest strategy. Doing things like this has the potential to mess up your installation and config files. I would be very careful about doing things this way. Hopefully you have good backups that you can revert to.
                For now I would try to find a solution by searching for "KDESU does not accept my password", "KDESU not accepting password", etc.
                Last edited by rab0171610; Jul 03, 2022, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X