Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kernel version

Hello
    My native language is not english so I do my best to get whats on my mind right. I use my system for trading and playing dota 2 It works fine in LTS workflow I can play dota 2 with 80 percent screen quality and no lag. I want to install kubuntu LTS but kernel version is a deal breaker I have heard ubuntu LTS get new kernel version every 6 month like normal ubuntu version is it the same with kubuntu or kernel in kubuntu is LTS mode as well? I tried mint 1st but I dont like the desktop and kernel is old and it says stoney is not supported in kfd I searched alot but seems like it means gpu is not good for gaming yet I have updated to newer edge kernel which is 6.5 and that massage is gone but gaming in the same lvl graphics with windows is still laggy so I prefer newer kernel.
    Thanks for your helps in advance.
    I have asus laptop with a9 cpu
    8G of ram and R5 m420 2G gpu

It would be helpful if your questions was more specific about which kernel version you want to use. I am using KDEneon based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS are there are 1116 different kernel versions installable.

Kubuntu IS Ubuntu with a different desktop environment. Meaning any time Ubuntu gets a kernel update so does Kubuntu.

"LTS" means "Long Term Support", Non-LTS releases go end-of-life after 9 months. Ubuntu LTS releases get operating system and Desktop updates 5 years. Kubuntu Desktop only for 3 years.

I do not believe Canonical (the Ubuntu company) controls kernel updates and there's not a set schedule on when they are released.

You don't have to install updated kernels and you can have as many as you want installed and boot to any kernel you want to use.

If you know which specific kernel you need, simply find a release that supports that kernel and install it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here you can see the (main) kernel versions of the current Kubuntu releases: Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
      (and I would not use e.g. Debian for gaming, because there is a slightly newer kernel version in the Backports - look at the Mesa version which is very important for gaming…).

Linux Mint Edge always uses the kernel (and Mesa) version of the current Ubuntu LTS release it is based on (in case of Mint 21.x Edge this is Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS)​.

If those kernels are too "old" for you, perhaps a rolling release like openSUSE Tumbleweed or Garuda KDE D460nized (both currently kernel 6.8.4) is better suited for you…

PS: End of this month (K)ubuntu 24.04 LTS will be released with kernel 6.8.x - the Beta phase starts tomorrow.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2024, 01:12 PM. Reason: added PS, additions
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

• oshunluvr
        oshunluvr commented
        Editing a comment
        My 24.04 VM installed 6.8.0-22 just a few minutes ago...1200+ updates today.

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Here you can see the (main) kernel versions of the current Kubuntu releases: Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings
      PS: End of this month (K)ubuntu 24.04 LTS will be released with kernel 6.8.x - the Beta phase starts tomorrow.
      When that 24 LTS comes out with kernel 6.8 when the kernel would be updated again 2 years later or every 6 month? I have heard ubuntu gnome LTS get kernel update every 6 month like non LTS ver is this true? Thats my main question Im sorry if it got lost in the 1st post by mumbling. My gpu and cpu are more than 2y old and its open source as far as I know and its marked as legacy in amd readen software already so Im just surprised its not fully supported until 6.5.

Comment

IIRC about every 6 months - you can find more information on the Ubuntu website as it is exactly the same for Ubuntu (with GNOME) and Kubuntu and all the other Ubuntu flavours like Xubuntu etc.

PS: If you wanted to update the kernel from the 2x.04.0 version to the next one you had to do this manually (meaning: explicitly install it) in the past.
        But this is no problem at all and hassle-free…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2024, 01:45 PM. Reason: added PS

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Useful links:
          https://ubuntu.com/kernel/lifecycle

A bit better timeline example;
          https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cyc...-release-cycle

Kubuntu=Ubuntu as an OS, so other than the desktop support lifecycle, these all apply to us here.

Also note that LTS kernel upgrades don't *start* until the .2 ISO image update (actually a tad before), so not until the following February.
          They also stop being updated after the next LTS's kernel makes it to the previous LTS .

Mint does stay on the GA kernel, just like Ubuntu Server does, but the HWE kernel can easily be enabled there. When they move to a 24.04 base, Mint will be using the HWE kernels by defualt.
          So their Edge isos won't be necessary for newer hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            […]
            So their Edge isos won't be necessary for newer hardware.
            If you have hardware that is "too new" the default Linux Mint ISOs are sometimes not sufficient, therefor the "Edge" ISOs exist.
            Those will be merged into the default Mint ISOs in one of the coming releases, so Mint will always use the same kernel as *Ubuntu then and there will be no "Edge" ISOs anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X