Trouble burning an install DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble burning an install DVD

I'm trying to burn the 22.04 LTS iso to a DVD-R using 18.04 LTS, and K3B is reporting that the DVD is too small for the image. Clearly I haven't done this for at least four years, but I wasn't expecting this to be a problem. Have the DVDs gone dual-layer or something?

The current practice is using USB for installation. If you have a USB handy, you can just use 'Startup disk creator" to create an install USB.

Comment

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Comment

If you still want to try the DVD give XFburn a go. K3b is good but has always given me problems when burning .iso files.
        If using usb I recommend etcher found here. https://www.balena.io/etcher
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

The current Kubuntu 22.04.2 ISO is shown in Dolphin with around 4,7 GiB = gibibytes (5.023.979.520 bytes on my SSD).
          A single-layer/single-sided DVD is 4,7 GB = gigabytes (4.700.000.000 bytes).

So the Kubuntu 22.04.2 ISO is too big for a single-sided/single-layer DVD - you will have to use a double-layer DVD if you don't want to - or cannot - boot from the suggested USB stick "burnt" with e.g. Balena Etcher.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 09, 2023, 08:21 AM. Reason: typos
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

ARSIVCI,
            "The current practice is using USB for installation. If you have a USB handy, you can just use 'Startup disk creator" to create an install USB.​"

I understand why they do that, but WHY is that not known to everyone? It seems to me that would be a good thing to post by the download
            I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't fit on DVD...I gave up and asked here...Thank you Arsivci.

Comment

Technically the Kubuntu 22.04 ISO does fit on a DVD, just not on a single layered one (anymore) - you need to use a double-layered one…

And on the download sites of the different Linux distributions the size of the ISOs generally is published. So the user can freely decide onto which medium he puts the ISO - onto DVD, USB stick, hard disk, SSD, CF or SD card, etc. - as long as it has enough storage space.
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 28, 2023, 09:52 PM.
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Even better, once you have a functioning install you can boot the ISO directly from GRUB

Please Read Me

Comment

I went the USB stick route. It went ok but my old motherboard only has bootable usb2 ports so it takes for..ev..er to boot. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                  X