Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Internet connection speed

Hello Everyone,

I have been monitoring my internet speed with the System Monitor all the time, and the speed, both download and upload, is always less than 20% of the rated speed by my ISP.
    When logging into the ISP site into my account, there is a "Check Internet Speed" app there and it shows the correct (high) speed for the test.

Is there some setting in my system that limits the internet connection speed, or is the ISP throttling the connection?

When I boot up my system with W10 and do a system update and monitor the speed, again, it shows the correct, high internet speed. Other than that I do not use W10 with the network connection.

My system is as follows:

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-100-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 6 × Intel® Core™ i5-8500 CPU @ 3.00GHz
    Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630​

Thanks, Peter

Sounds like one is showing megabytes/second and the other is showing megabits/second
    There is a difference:-

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/re...why-it-matters

Comment

… and then there also can be additional differences in some displays for speeds or sizes in general, because there also is a difference between mebibytes (MiB) and megabytes (MB) for example …
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

One thing to note that the network speed is not the same as your internet speed.
        Mine is quite different, much more than 20% .

I can't tell off the bat what the default readings are being displayed, but this can be changed to show a different set of values. There are quite a few available.
        It is a bit clunky to do, so I may do a quick how-to with steps and images, if I get some time later.
        Last edited by claydoh; Mar 18, 2024, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!
          That is it (bit vs. byte), that clears it up!
          Never thought about that.

Thanks again, Peter

Comment

Working...
          X