Disable touchpad when mouse plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Disable touchpad when mouse plugged in

I've been busy setting up 22.04 LTS in my old Lenovo Z570. So far, so good, but I can't seem to find a feature that I used in previous versions of Kubuntu. My CherryTree notes say to do this:

System Settings ⇒ Input Devices ⇒ Touchpad

or hit Alt+F2 and type "Touchpad"

Then check "disable when mouse plugged in".

I'm not finding that option anymore. I really prefer that on a laptop because then I don't move the mouse pointer by accidentally hitting the touchpad. I don't need the touchpad when I have a mouse plugged in. It would seem they've taken away one of my favorite settings. Is there some way to still do it?

-------------
    Note: I need to edit my sig. I'm on 22.04 LTS now. Trying to find where to edit my sig.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Feb 25, 2024, 05:56 PM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Install package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

After install, log out and log in, then go to System Settings > Input Devices > Touchpad > Enable/Disable Touchpad and checkmark the box Disable touchpad when mouse in plugged in
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

When I had a laptop for work, the "Disable touchpad when mouse in plugged in" was flaky in that sometimes the touchpad was disabled when there was no mouse plugged in. It's hard to use KDE with no pointing device, though it was a Lenovo with the little stick in the middle of the keyboard; perhaps this was interpreted as a mouse being plugged in.

Anyway, I set a shortcut for "Toggle Touchpad". I'd recommend having this in case.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

What Snowhog said works for me.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Install package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

After install, log out and log in, then go to System Settings > Input Devices > Touchpad > Enable/Disable Touchpad and checkmark the box Disable touchpad when mouse in plugged in
          That did the trick! Thank you so much for your help. I've saved this in my CherryTree notes.

Comment

I have to add two things:
            - Obviously this solution should not work for Wayland.
            - AFAIK xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not actively developed anymore, so this could be the reason why libinput is shipped by default nowadays. Possibly it will not work anymore in a few years (I could be wrong, of course)…
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              I have to add two things:
              - Obviously this solution should not work for Wayland.
              - AFAIK xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is not actively developed anymore, so this could be the reason why libinput is shipped by default nowadays. Possibly it will not work anymore in a few years (I could be wrong, of course)…
              Thanks for the info. I've kept notes on exactly how I installed it. If it ever gets funky, I can uninstall it and find some other solution.

Comment

synaptics has been depreciated and will not work with Wayland. You have to use X11 for it to work. But right now it still works.
                I've also used Touchpad-indicator which sort of works but you have to install it via it's ppa from here
                Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                  synaptics has been depreciated and will not work with Wayland. You have to use X11 for it to work. But right now it still works.
                  I've also used Touchpad-indicator which sort of works but you have to install it via it's ppa from here
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:atareao/atareao
                  Okay, I needed to look up Wayland. I didn't know what it is. Its Wiki says it's a Linux communication protocol for displaying stuff on the screen. Is that going to be used after 22.04? I also had to look up X11. So upcoming versions of Kubuntu will use this Wayland and X11, and I therefore will no longer be able to use this xserver-xorg-input-synaptics​ that I just installed? Do I understand correctly? This laptop is old. I bought it in 2012, but it does still run Jammy okay. I'm going to stick with Jammy as long as possible. If upcoming Kubuntu versions demand too many resources, I might switch this laptop to a lower-resource distro like Lubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                    Is that going to be used after 22.04?
                    Yes, and no. it is not yet the defualt display thingy for most Plasma setups currently, and an any case one will have the choice to use the old X11 or Wayland at login

I therefore will no longer be able to use this xserver-xorg-input-synaptics​ that I just installed?
                    this has nothing to do with wayland v X11, just that the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics​ driver has long become unsupported/no longer developed by those who do such things. It doesn't seem like it will go away for those that need it, though, for some time.

If upcoming Kubuntu versions demand too many resources, I might switch this laptop to a lower-resource distro like Lubuntu.
                    You might be surprised at the smaller-than-expected differences between LxQt vs Plasma in terms of resources.

But back to the touchpad, the libinput driver is supposed to have palm rejection and other things built-in to not need a setting to disable it when mousing.

Seems to work well on my 2013 el-cheapo HP laptop, even though it has a click-pad, not an actual touchpad. But 'supposed' and 'actually does' are two different things. I did have issues with one recent model Chromebook converted to Linux, but the synaptic driver didn't change anything , either, even though it did have the setting to disable the touchpad when typing as well as when using a mouse. Ruined an otherwise 100% perfect laptop for me.

Comment

Working...
                    X