Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu UBSAN array-index-out-of-bounds error bricked my system (update to kernel 6.5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For how long will I receive security updates in Kubuntu 22.04 LTS with kernel version 6.2?

Comment

6.2 has already been superceded by 6.5.
      6.2 is the kernel from Lunar 23.04. which reached EOL at the end of January.

For LTS releases, the original kernel is supported for the full 5 year support cycle - 5.15 for 22.04
      Newer kernels via the HWE don't have long support cycles, once a new major version comes out. The same lifespan as the Ubuntu releases they came from.
      https://ubuntu.com/kernel/lifecycle
      As 6.2 has already reached eol, and shouldn't see any more security patches.

Once the next HWE kernel update happens to 22.04 (to be the upcoming 6.8 expected in 24.04LTS), that will have support for the remainder of Jammy's life cycle, and beyond.
      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 15, 2024, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Do you think that is a good idea to wait until kernel 6.8 is released and install it using Mainline kernels (now that I have removed linux-generic, linux-generic-hwe-22.04, linux-image, linux-header,... and will not see any security nor kernel updates)?:

Comment

Up to you. Mainline (vanilla) kernel builds have zero security support, just new versions, which may or may not fix a particular hole.
          Any kernel via Mainline has no real relation to what will be in Ubuntu releases, these are just basic, unmodified kernel builds as opposed to ones that have been built specifically for distro release to fit into the systems well and have some hardware support baked in properly.
          They are good for testing general hardware support, so there is no reason to wait for 6.8, try some others and see if other versions may work.

Also, removing the HWE stack of course removes the chance that that you will get a fixed 6.5.0, or a grub kernel config edit is needed for your specific hardware.
          Last edited by claydoh; Feb 15, 2024, 05:18 PM.

Comment

OK, this solved the issue that I originally had with kernel 6.5 (Kubuntu failed to start):

Code:
            sudo apt remove --purge linux-modules-6.5.0-14-generic linux-image-6.5.0-14-generic linux-headers-6.5.0-14-generic linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-14-generic
            Code:
            sudo apt remove --purge linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-generic-hwe-22.04
            Code:
            sudo apt update

Should I execute these commands to enable again kernel updates (without installing kernel 6.5)?:

Code:
            sudo apt install linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-generic-hwe-22.04
            Code:
            sudo apt update

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by sodgian View Post
              […]
              Should I execute these commands to enable again kernel updates (without installing kernel 6.5)?:

Code:
              sudo apt install linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-generic-hwe-22.04
              Code:
              sudo apt update
              Thanks in advance
              You can add the --dry-run flag to simulate the installation without actually installing anything - see what will happen and decide for yourself:
              sudo apt install --dry-run linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-generic-hwe-22.04

If I understood you correctly you want to use the 5.15 LTS or 6.2.x kernel until the hwe kernel for 22.04 is at least version 6.6.x …
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 16, 2024, 02:58 PM.
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

No, this WILL bring back the 6.5. But it also won't remove a 5.15 if you still happen to have that.
                And , since the 6.2 was the previous HWE, it will eventually want to get removed as the 6.5 is updated - apt wants to keep three kernels installed before auto-removing.

if you want to stick to the original (GA) kernel 5.15, then :
                sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic

Extra tip:
                Update first, then install packages, just for a good habit:
                sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04​

To keep the specific 6.2 kernel from being auto-removed, then you will want to mark it as manually installed:

sudo apt mark manual linux-image-6.2.0-39-generic
                Or whatever specific one you are using

if you do install the HWE kernel, you still will need to select the desired kernel version in Grub, else modify that configuration to use a specific entry as the main boot option.

Comment

This command...:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04​

...reinstalled kernel 6.5!

Fortunately, I am using another NVIDIA graphics card with a different NVIDIA driver version (535) and now all seems to be working fine.

So, on my system, there was definitely some issue with my old NVIDIA graphics card, NVIDIA driver version 390 and kernel 6.5.

Now I have removed all the previous kernels to free up space:

Comment

This command...:

...reinstalled kernel 6.5!

[…]
                    And that's exactly why I suggested to use the --dry-run flag with apt install - so you could see that it would reinstall it…

But I am glad that it works now nevertheless.
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 17, 2024, 05:14 AM.
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Ooops... I am still getting the UBSAN message while booting:

But at least now the GUI starts normally (fingers crossed).

As far as I know this is a well-known issue and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Comment

But at least now the GUI starts normally
                        You can ignore this, it probably is just a 'leakage', as only actual errors or failures are normally seen - this doesn't show either tag, so it is informational. The hard part is that this is what is shown on the screen when you see your problems, which doesn't necessarily reflect the actual cause of a boot failure.

Comment

Working...
                        X