Won't boot after update to 5.15.0-84-generic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't boot after update to 5.15.0-84-generic

Hello, my first post here, asking for help.
    I'm the very same situation as SteveTaylor in https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...5-0-76-generic, except that untill today, no update helped.

Ever after the update to 5.15.0-84-generic my laptop won't boot to X. Selecting the previus 5.15.0-83-generic kernel, it boots okay.
    What I have: A HP probook 440 G5 with Kubuntu 22.04 installed on /dev/nvme0n1 as first boot
    Code:
    sudo lspci -v | grep -A1 -e VGA -e 3D
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (rev 07) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    DeviceName: Onboard IGD
    --
    01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM108M [GeForce 930MX] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company GM108M [GeForce 930MX]
    • I have tryed to "e" at grub time and change boot options, removing "psmouse.proto=imps" (added by me long time ago, I think it helps with my touchpad which was often unresponsive), "quiet" or "$vt_handoff"
    • Also tryed to boot "recovery", tested all possible options, but didn't help at all.
    • More than this, "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall", which showed to install latest drivers for both 5.15.0-83 and currnet non working 5.15.0-88
    • Logged in as $user by pressing ctrl+alt+F2 and tryed "sudo startx"
    • sudo journalctl -b -1 -a after I have (unsuccessfully) tried booting with 5.15.0-88-generic and immediately afterwards successfully booted with 5.15.0-83-generic:
      Failed to read display number from pipe
      Could not start Display server on vt 1
    • Of course I didn't forget to take advantage of Schwarzer Kater's advice and did the marking kernel as manually installed

cat /etc/default/grub | grep GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

One more thing, kern.log of an unsuccessful spin shows always as a last log enry "loop25: detected capacity change from 0 to 8", when "sudo losetup -a" or "sudo fdisk -l" show only 24 loop devices

Any advice would bemuch appreciated​, greetings from sunny Thassos!

Welcome.

Hm, you did try a lot… Sorry that it didn't work so far!

Another possibility would be to
    • completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers and boot with the Nouveau open source drivers
    • if this works, install the current official 6.2.x kernel for Kubuntu 22.04 with sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04
    • reboot if this works, reinstall the Nvidia drivers from *Ubuntu e.g. with ubuntu-drivers

No guarantees of course that this will help and the 6.2.x kernel in combination with the Nvidia drivers will work for you, but I think it is worth a try…
    If need be you can always go back to the 5.15.x kernel by removing the newer kernel (and headers) again afterwards.

Don't hesitate to ask if you get stuck.

PS: and if you replace the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="" and sudo update-grub afterwards you can see a lot of output during the boot process which might help to see some things (best to sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig before, though).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 06, 2023, 05:32 AM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      completely uninstall the Nvidia drivers and boot with the Nouveau open source drivers
      Hello, thank you for replying!

I removed nvidia drivers (by "sudo apt remove '^nvidia'" [and purge, too]). Rebooted, but no joy. This time, by switching console (ctrl+alt+F2) I could "startx" but with no network, no sound and I don't know probably what else. All this in 1024x768. At the same time, booting the 83 kernel, boots with network, sound, 1920x1080, but no vivaldi browser. Firefox ok.

I now have re-installed by "sudo apt install nvidia-driver-535 nvidia-settings" or "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall" and I am back at the very same situation.

I don't know if these kern.logs are of any help:
      5.15.0-88
      Code:
      https://pastebin.com/raw/WXP65e5d
      and 5.15.0-83
      Code:
      https://pastebin.com/raw/a59sJtF0
      Also, journalctl from failure:
      Code:
      https://pastebin.com/raw/SxyNwTaG
      and from success with kernel 5.15.0-83
      Code:
      https://pastebin.com/raw/TqP9Rs3s

Any ideas?
      Should I do something crazy? ​

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyz View Post
        […] I removed nvidia drivers […]. Rebooted, but no joy.
        This should not happen. You should at least be able to boot and use the computer without any problems of that magnitude with an Nvidia GPU and the Nouveau open source drivers.

[…] but with no network, no sound and I don't know probably what else. All this in 1024x768. At the same time, booting the 83 kernel, boots with network, sound, 1920x1080, but no vivaldi browser. Firefox ok. […]
        This behavior really is quite unusual and I have no explanation for e.g. the missing network, sound, broken Vivaldi.
        Perhaps the old kernel booted with the correct Nouveau drivers? But this would only explain the correct graphics output…

I now have re-installed by "sudo apt install nvidia-driver-535 nvidia-settings" or "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall" and I am back at the very same situation.
        […]
        Any ideas?
        Should I do something crazy? ​
        I just looked it up: at least the 535.x driver is the right one for your Nvidia graphics card.

And I only had time to briefly look into the log files:
        One difference I spotted is that you loaded 5.15.0-88 with nomodeset (your first pastebin link). Something to look into.

If you don't get this solved in the near future, perhaps to not waste too much time you could backup your personal data and important settings (if you haven't already), erase the / (root) partition, install Kubuntu 22.04.3 (https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/r...jammy/release/) from scratch, test if the Nvidia drivers cause any problems again, install the programs you need and copy back your personal data and important settings…
        But if you want to do this, test if your computer boots and runs from the Kubuntu 22.04.3 installation medium first (meaning: use the "live" mode).

Something crazy?
        Sell the computer and buy a new one with AMD or Intel graphics.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 06, 2023, 02:33 PM. Reason: typos
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

First of all, thank you for the time and efford you spent for my sake
          You did encourriage me to make the next step: update the kernel to 6.x
          For sure, I wouldn't use sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-22.04 and I could probably have another adventure!
          Now my laptop boots with 6.2.0-36-generic and so far everything seems nice 'n' sleasy!

As for the nomodest thing, well, it appeared when I let grub boot the first "Ununtu" choise. I saw it and I thought that it was reverting to the recovery by it self, after not succeessfully booting normally.

In any ways, I'm ok for now, but keep an eye open, I'll be back!

Comment

Working...
          X