Flickering laptop screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] Flickering laptop screen

Unsure of where to ask this, but I was wondering if someone here could help me troubleshoot this issue: intermittent screen flickering. My laptop flickers like mad, started only every few months but it seems to be getting more frequent (now once every few days). Restarting does not solve the issue, cold reboot, nothing. Eventually it just stops, sometimes as I'm using it.

A link to a video of the awful flicker.

Currently using X11 but it happens in Wayland as well. I thought it was some software or driver issue, but recently realized that it continues to flicker as I reboot: i.e., even the bios screen flickers. Is this therefore a hardware issue? But then why would it be so intermittent? If I could at least pinpoint the issue I could work on a fix.

Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks: 5.92.0
    Qt: 5.15.3
    Kernel: 5.15.0-76
    Hardware:
    ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7
    i7-8665U
    UHD Graphics 620​

Thanks!

Originally posted by Caviafulgida View Post
    it continues to flicker as I reboot: i.e., even the bios screen flickers. Is this therefore a hardware issue?
    yes, it is. Could be any of a number of things, from a bad screen connector, to more major components searing out.

Seems a common enough issues with these laptops.

Comment

Ah, thanks for that link. I kept thinking it was a software issue so I wasn't searching the right places. I'll probably try replacing the screen and maybe the connector too. Seems simple to do and much less costly than a new laptop.

Comment

Working...
      X