No announcement yet.

What's causing my PC to freeze up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had similar experience a while back. I found that I had selected "Suspend" in the Power Management -> Energy Saving system setting. When I turned that off, my laptop's awake experience was uneventful. I just let the time out settings or laptop lid closing do what they do. I know you aren't talking about a laptop. Sometimes power, timeout, and sleep settings can conflict
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Memtest86+
      I ran it for almost 2 hours, two full passes (10 tests each pass).
      No errors.

S-K:
      You had three user applications open again - the Firefox Snap, Dolphin and LibreOffice - when the freeze-up occured?
      -- Yep.

jglen: Thanks. On the PC, "Suspend" is not selected. But I'll keep the idea in mind (about possible conflicting settings).
      Last edited by Qqmike; Jul 30, 2023, 09:36 PM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you cannot find anything in the log files (or jglen490's suggestions lead to nothing), I have two more thoughts:
        - try the 5.19 kernel
        - don't use (the Firefox) Snap
        and see if these make any difference…

And df -hT does show enough free space on your partitions, doesn't it?
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 31, 2023, 05:11 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Oh, yes, I am not using much space here (deleting the tmpfs, all at 1%):

Code:
          ~$ df -hT
          Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
          /dev/sda2 ext4 46G 13G 31G 30% /
          /dev/sda3 ext4 183G 8.8G 165G 6% /home
          /dev/sda1 vfat 197M 6.1M 191M 4% /boot/efi
          ​It happens quite infrequently, so re-booting is not much of a problem. And I can always keep trying to see something in the log files or elsewhere.
          You know, the guys in another thread were talking about Firefox snap doing this ... so maybe it is that, although I thought updates were to fix that, I can't recall.
          I use Firefox snap because it's there, provided, convenient, I don't have to do anything special to install/maintain. Did a lot of installing & maintaining in the past, just another PITA (on top of maintaining the cell phones, tablets, laptop, dishwasher & appliances, the house, the car, the health ... )

I was, though, a little concerned about a possible memory module issue. Usually a main culprit in freeze-ups. I've got two 16 GB Crucial memory modules, and it's a good brand. Luckily, memtest+ isn't seeing the usual, 'most likely' problems with it, after two completed full passes.

Thanks for your time and ideas. I'll keep posting anything new that comes up.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

IF firefox is the cause of your freezes (Why might that be? Firefox has had, nearly forever, and I believe still has, a memory leakage problem that has been complained about, again, nearly forever), launch Konsole and make it always visible and type top and press Enter.

Then press the letter o and type: COMMAND=firefox

This will limit the output of top to just the running instance of firefox. You can observe how it is utilizing memory, and you can observe how overall system memory is being used.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog, will try that.

Comment

Working...
              X