Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KUBUNTU bugging on my new laptop ASUS TUF DASH F15 2022.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KUBUNTU bugging on my new laptop ASUS TUF DASH F15 2022.

I installed different versions of Kubuntu but bugs remain the same. Sometimes it freezes during installation process, or when logining in or when restarting. Or sometimes browsers won't open up. What should i do? Anyone knows how to troubleshoot it or has solution for that?

Well, to start, you can provide us with information about the hardware you are installing Kubuntu on.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Well, to start, you can provide us with information about the hardware you are installing Kubuntu on.
      it is i5-12450H with RTX 3060. 16 gb RAM. Heard some people had it without buggs on TUF series, but idk why mine is so buggy.

Comment

Did you use the Kubuntu 22.04.2 installation ISO with the 5.19 kernel or the 22.04.0/22.04.1 with the 5,15 kernel?
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Did you use the Kubuntu 22.04.2 installation ISO with the 5.19 kernel or the 22.04.0/22.04.1 with the 5,15 kernel?
          First one with 5.19 kernel. Should've i done something after installation Kubuntu? Like installation of different graphic drivers or kernel? Or maybe something else? I tried couple of Ubuntu flavours. Ubuntu had issue once, it got stuck but got better after.

Comment

If you have a Nvidia graphics card (or other hardware that might require proprietary drivers) in (K)ubuntu it is a good idea to check for missing drivers in Konsole terminal emulator:
            ubuntu-drivers devices
            If there is something missing install it with:
            sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall (the installer will hereby choose the recommended driver version for your card/hardware if available and install it)
            Afterwards:
            reboot

The stock 5.19 kernel should be fine for the moment and will be upgraded by the Ubuntu kernel team for 22.04 some time after (K)ubuntu 23.04 has been released (and therefore by your system's package management at this time). You can search the Ubuntu website for typical kernel version release cycles.
            A newer kernel might work better with Intel 12th generation CPUs - but don't just install some kernel from the internet from outside the *Ubuntu repositories unless you know exactly what you are doing and what the consequences are! Especially in combination with a Nvidia graphics card… Better to wait for the kernel team to finish their work.

If your machine freezes during the installation process, don't choose the both options to install proprietary drivers and to download updates during the installation.
            For proprietary drivers (like Nvidia) use the method above after the installation process has finished and you rebooted your machine.
            For updates just use the Discover Software Center or the CLI (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade).

There are several threads about Kubuntu and/or Plasma freezes in this forum - you could try some of the methods mentioned there to analyze the problem and find a solution for your laptop.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2023, 04:20 AM. Reason: added info

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

If you have a Nvidia graphics card (or other hardware that might require propretiory drivers) in (K)ubuntu it is a good idea to check for missing drivers in Konsole terminal emulator:
              ubuntu-drivers devices
              If there is something missing install it with:
              sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall (the installer will hereby choose the recommended driver version for your card/hardware if available and install it)
              Afterwards:
              reboot

The stock 5.19 kernel should be fine for the moment and will be upgraded by the Ubuntu kernel team for 22.04 some time after (K)ubuntu 23.04 has been released (and therefore by your system's package management at this time). You can search the Ubuntu website for typical release cycles.
              A newer kernel might work better with Intel 12th generation CPUs - but don't just install some kernel from the internet from outside the *Ubuntu repositories unless you know exactly what you are doing and what the consequences are! Especially in combination with a Nvidia graphics card… Better to wait for the kernel team to finish their work.

If your machine freezes during the installation process, don't choose the both options to install proprietary drivers and to download updates during the installation.
              For proprietary drivers (like Nvidia) use the method above after the installation process has finished and you rebooted your machine.
              For updates just use the Discover Software Center or the CLI (sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade).

There are several threads about Kubuntu and/or Plasma freezes in this forum - you could try some of the methods mentioned there to analyze the problem and find a solution for your laptop.
              Thanks a lot! I will try as soon as i return to home.

Comment

Addition (a personal preference of sorts):

If you keep having problem with web browsers (especially the Snap version of Firefox) consider removing the Firefox Snap (or Snap altogether) and replacing it with the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org.

Dowloading Brave (to have a Google Chrome/Microsoft Edge compatible web engine without the spyware) can also be a good idea:
                https://brave.com/linux/#debian-ubuntu-mint
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 10, 2023, 05:14 AM. Reason: added Brave

Comment

Addition (a personal preference of sorts):

If you keep having problem with web browsers (especially the Snap version of Firefox) consider removing the Firefox Snap (or Snap altogether) and replacing it with the Firefox binary from Mozilla.org.

Dowloading Brave (to have a Google Chrome/Microsoft Edge compatible web engine without the spyware) can also be a good idea:
                  https://brave.com/linux/#debian-ubuntu-mint
                  Honestly, did not help much. Also brave were installed couple of times but when i reinstalled Kubuntu it stopped appeaing in applications menu. I downloaded it via terminal

Comment

If an application does not show up in the applications menu, in Konsole try kbuildsycoca5 ("rebuilds binary cache of the data stored in .desktop and MIME type .xml files that the KService framework uses to find plugins, applications and other services​").
                    This might help.

If Brave does not show up after you reinstalled Kubuntu (I don't know what method you used), check /opt with
                    ls -lR /opt/brave* | grep -i brave-browser if Brave is still there and check the path to the exacutable with whereis brave-browser.
                    Otherwise you will have to reinstall it too.

Comment

If an application does not show up in the applications menu, in Konsole try kbuildsycoca5 ("rebuilds binary cache of the data stored in .desktop and MIME type .xml files that the KService framework uses to find plugins, applications and other services​").
                      This might help.

If Brave does not show up after you reinstalled Kubuntu (I don't know what method you used), check /opt with
                      ls -lR /opt/brave* | grep -i brave-browser if Brave is still there and check the path to the exacutable with whereis brave-browser.
                      Otherwise you will have to reinstall it too.
                      I updated all drivers and made my RTX 3060 graphic as main VGA for Kubuntu. So far seems good. If there will be any bugs or lags, i'll report again. I changed updater's server from my country's to Main Server in settings and it downloaded all the necessary updates

Comment

It is solved btw. Thread can be closed

Comment

Originally posted by mario View Post
                          I installed different versions of Kubuntu but bugs remain the same. Sometimes it freezes during installation process, or when logining in or when restarting. Or sometimes browsers won't open up. What should i do? Anyone knows how to troubleshoot it or has solution for that?
                          It sounds like there might be underlying hardware issues causing the problems. Consider checking the system's hardware components and testing them for issues or seeking technical support. g

Comment

Working...
                          X