Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Safe to stop mysqld ?

Hi,

Using htop I have discovered that my Kubuntu 22.04 LTS laptop is running many(!) instances of /usr/sbin/mysqld. Each instance has a different PID and appears(!) to have the same MEM% of 4.8.
    As I am not using mysql, would it be safe to to stop these daemons/services ?

Stuart

Originally posted by stuarte View Post
    As I am not using mysql,
    Something is, though. Probably Kontact, via mariaDB (a fork of mysql).
    Obviously whatever is using the database will either gripe, or just restart the service, if you kill or stop them.

Comment

If you press [F5] to get the "Tree" view in htop - does this reveal what started the mysqld instances?
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Or, in a Konsole you can enter
        pstree | grep mysql
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Good morning all,

Thank you all for your responses and please accept my apologies for the tardiness of my own response..

Something is, though. Probably Kontact, via mariaDB (a fork of mysql).
          claydoh:Hmm. as I am not using either of those(!), do I just stop those services/daemons as well or just uninstall them ? I do not "see" me having a use case for them in the near future.

Schwarzer Kater: Please see the attached screenshot (file: mysqld_problem.png) for what pressing F5 in htop revealed. This was captured after I had gone into htop's F2 Setup/Display options and clicked on/selected " Highlight program "basename" ".

Stuart
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi again,

My apologies to GreyGeek for not including you in my previous response. Entering
            pstree | grep mysql
            in Konsole revealed the following :-

kub@kub-SATELLITE-L870-18V:~$ pstree | grep mysql
            |-mysqld---37*[{mysqld}]

Am I correct in thinking that 37* means that there are 37 instances of mysqld running ? If so, that's a lot of resources that could be reclaimed.

Stuart

Comment

I don't think that the 4.9% is per instance, it may be total, as you would have much more than 100% usage.

But in any case, you have installed something that uses a database. It may be using mariadb, which iirc still uses 'mysql' as the naming, as it is a replacement for MySQL.
              Anything KDE related that uses akonadi (calendar/address book stuff) would pull this in, as well as any number of other applications.

Stop it, and see which things break

Comment

Working...
              X