Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] User error during MOK enrollment preventing booting from OS, and flash drive

System in question is the Desktop PC listed in my profile (There is a laptop listed there too, but N/A)

Ran the installer initially with no issues. At reboot time, my finger slipped during password entry, and i hit enter, before i could catch myself.

Since then, I can't boot into installed Linux, nor can I boot the USB disk in UEFI mode. When I boot to the installed Linux, it just gives errors about devices not being named, and never loads. If I try to boot the USB disk, I get what's in the screenshot below, then asked to either continue booting, or enroll from disk. (There's another enrollment option there, but can't remember it now)

I went into the firmware settings, and tried clearing the secure boot keys, followed by an installation of the default keys, but to no avail. Secure boot is required for this system, as I plan on upgrading windows to version 11, before 10's EOL, if my OS migration isn't completed by then.

I know the key is stored somewhere on the installed linux file system, so 3 questions.

1. Can I just re-enroll the key directly from it's location on the installed OS?
    2. if so, what's the location of the key to enroll?
    3. if 1 is true, will re-enrolling the keys allow the OS to boot, without reinstalling a second time?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230227_113631.jpg Views:	12 Size:	41.2 KB ID:	668726
    Last edited by jasoncollege24; Feb 27, 2023, 11:15 PM.

To answer three questions with one:
    Can you boot into the installed Kubuntu 22.04 or your USB stick after you have disabled (temporarily) secure boot in the UEFI?

And to get to your questions (kind of), see for example:
    https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...k-in-linux-for - especially ad 3).

You will probably have to start from scratch.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 27, 2023, 05:30 PM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I use Rufus to flash the usb stick. if I do it in mbr mode, instead of EFI, i can boot the usb disk with firmware set to allow legacy USB booting. i would assume the installed version works fine too.

After reading what you linked, I'm not entirely certain how that helps me. I need to configure SecureBoot, in order to boot the USB disk, or Linux in EFI mode. Booting the USB in legacy mode removes all options for configuring SecureBoot during install. I need to configure SecureBoot... This is a vicious cycle.

I looks like I need to figure out how to clear the recent enrollment attempt, so that I can start from scratch.

Edit:

Misunderstood you, sorry. I disabled SecureBoot. Was able to boot to the USB, but not the installed 22.04 OS.

in the live environment, I used mokutil to ultimately get me into the MOK management tool on my system, and removed the enrolled keys, this did not resolve the problem. After googling the exact error message I received, I found a thread elsewhere. OP had said resolving the problem was as easy as using the 22.04.2 ISO, instead of the 22.04.1 ISO, so I'm trying this.

Will update again with the result.

Edit2: Using the newest ISO build resolved my issue. Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by jasoncollege24; Feb 27, 2023, 11:15 PM.

Comment

I am glad you found a solution and I think this can help others in the future.

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
        […] my finger slipped during password entry, and i hit enter, before i could catch myself.
        […]
        Because this is something that happens to me all the time. Luckily not in the context of MOK enrollment yet!
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I can't say for sure it was a screwed password, as MOK management gave me an error when I mismatched the password I manually set during the mok reset.

At this point, I'm thinking it was something potentially screwy with the 22.04.1 ISO build that SecureBoot didn't like. Either way, I've got it sorted out, and I do hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Working...
          X