X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] upper right corner to close apps/windows

Hi,
    new Kubuntu user here. My question: I am used to moving my mouse to the top right of the screen to close any application or window (coming from Windows). Except in Kubuntu this doesn't always work, with many apps/windows the top right of the screen gives a selector to resize the window/app, even when it is set to full screen. This happens for example with all Dolphin windows, with Evolution, with Discover, etc. So far, only Edge has the behaviour that I'd like: that the top right corner of the screen means "close window".
    Is there a way to change this for all apps and windows, that when an app/window is set to full-screen, that it should not be resizable, and that moving the mouse to the top right of the screen will mean closing the app/window?
    I'm on Kubuntu 22.04.1.
    thanks,
    Rik

Re. clicking in the utmost top right corner to close a maximized window, are you using a theme other than Breeze (or Breeze Dark)?

Brave browser, Discover Dolphin, Kate, Konsole all allow closing by clicking in the utmost top right corner with Breeze.

Other themes (and applications) may not be compliant with Fitts' Law and so you'll need to position your mouse pointer exactly over the close icon (or just use the keyboard). I set Super+X to close windows.

As for "full screen mode", I think you first need to get out of that mode.

If you have neofetch installed, please post the output of neofetch --stdout between code tags. Mine:
    Code:
    Host: Inspiron 15-3567
    Kernel: 5.15.0-47-generic
    Uptime: 20 mins
    Packages: 2276 (dpkg)
    Shell: bash 5.1.16
    Resolution: 1366x768
    DE: Plasma 5.24.6
    WM: KWin
    Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
    Icons: [Plasma], breeze [GTK2/3]
    Terminal: konsole
    CPU: Intel i3-6006U (2) @ 2.000GHz
    GPU: Intel Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
    Memory: 1031MiB / 7819MiB
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Hi,
      thanks for the reply. I meant "maximized", not full screen .
      My theme was "Kubuntu", i switched to Breeze to test, but result is still the same: when I go to top right on a maximized window, it keeps giving the "resize" mouse pointer icon, and clicking does not close the window (only exception is Edge).
      I remember at some point clicking a setting related to this (resizing windows when they are maximized), but i cannot find it anymore. Do you know which one that could be?

Here below my neofetch output

Host: HP EliteBook x360 1040 G7 Notebook PC
      Kernel: 5.15.0-47-generic
      Uptime: 13 mins
      Packages: 2398 (dpkg), 12 (snap)
      Shell: bash 5.1.16
      Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
      DE: Plasma 5.25.5
      WM: KWin
      Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK2/3]
      Icons: [Plasma], breeze [GTK2/3]
      Terminal: konsole
      CPU: Intel i5-10310U (8) @ 4.400GHz
      GPU: Intel Device 9bcc
      Memory: 4160MiB / 7725MiB

Comment

Originally posted by Rik44 View Post
        Hi,
        ... I remember at some point clicking a setting related to this (resizing windows when they are maximized), but i cannot find it anymore. Do you know which one that could be?

Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
        I searched through system settings but couldn't find anything relevant.

I also don't know why your neofetch has "Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080". Could that be somehow related?

Anyway, I ran the following command

qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin supportInformation

and uploaded its output to http://sprunge.us/iF5wGg

Maybe you can run the same command and do a diff to get some clues.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks, i think the dual resolutions is because i use 2 displays
          Re the command: i think I'll do a fresh install tonight of KDE Neon, and see if the problems persists. If it does, I'll post the output as you have and we can compare.
          Thanks for all the help!

Comment

I discovered the reason for the difference between you and me: this function works well on Plasma 5.24 but not on 5.25. I'll make a bug request

Comment

Working...
            X