Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kernel update sends bootup to Grub 22.04??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Kernel update sends bootup to Grub 22.04??

Hi, I have taken the plunge and installed Kubuntu 22.04 on my aging Dell E7250. So far I really like it and love the DE themes and the range of options available though I am not profiecent with Linux I have managed to get my NAS and phone connected which was not as straight forward as in Mint, but time for a change for me...... anyway I probably only just got it looking the way I wanted it and there was a system kernel update but when it restarted I ended up just at the boot selection screen rather than directly booting into the desktop..... I used if for a while until I noticed a revert to previous kernel in the lower screen somewhere and decided to go backwards(?) but it worked and I was once again booting straight into Kubuntu ...... my questiosn are
    "was there anything else I could of done to keep the upgraded kernel?"
    or was I better off doing what I did?

It would be helpful if you provided us with the specs on your PC; make/model, type/size of the drive you installed to, processor make/model, and amount of RAM you have.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Thank you for your reply Snowhog.

I have had a couple of updates since my original post and at most of these the system stops at Grub on reooot to select Ubuntu or extra options, if I select the first selection Ubuntu then on next reboot it will repeat this to grub, If I select the second option and repair/restore the current kernel then on next reboot it will go straight to the OS and desktop.

With that said when I went into "system info" to get the graphic card i noticed there was an error listed, but personally I do not know if it is significant or not so I pasted some of the info just in case ..... again thanks. regards Len

Dell-latitude E7250

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
      KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.4
      KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
      Qt Version: 5.15.3
      Kernel Version: 5.15.0-43-generic (64-bit)
      Graphics Platform: X11
      Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz
      Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
      Graphics Processor: llvmpipe
      ==================

libEGL warning: DRI2: failed to authenticate

GBM platform:
      eglinfo: eglInitialize failed

Wayland platform:

X11 platform:
      EGL API version: 1.5
      EGL vendor string: Mesa Project
      EGL version string: 1.5
      EGL client APIs: OpenGL OpenGL_ES

Device platform:
      =============

Last edited by oldfart; Jul 29, 2022, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Hi All.
        This sorted itself after another update ....... so thanks

Comment

Working...
        X