Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Freeze-ups

Hi folks

First time poster here. I hope someone more knowledgeable then me in computer matters might clarify this situation.

Just installed Kubuntu 20.04 22.04 on my old computer with 2 gigs of RAM and 500 gigs of hard drive.

The system installed just fine, with Kubuntu taking over entire hard drive. After installation and some period of usage (sometimes it's few minutes, sometimes an hour or two), the desktop would freeze.

Upon hard reset it would come to this:

Loading Linux 5.15.0-41-generic ...
    error: attempt to read or write outside of disk 'hd0'.
    Loading initial ramdisk ...
    error: you need to load the kernel first.

Press any key to continue..._

then this:

*Ubuntu
    Advanced options for Ubuntu
    Memory test (memtest86+.elf)
    Memory test (memtest86+bin, serial console)

and then full screen of gibberish (to me), and the last 2 lines:

[ 1.335084] Kernel Offset: 0x9800000 from 0xfffffff81000000 (relocation range: 0xfffff800000000-0xfffffffbfffffff)
    [1.3350840] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) ]---

If I shut down computer for few minutes, then the system starts up just fine.

My uneducated guess would be a failing hard drive.

The reason why I installed Kubuntu is because I had an older Linux Mint installed, which was no longer supported and started just shutting down without warning on me.

Do I need to get a new hard drive? Or is it just something software related?

Thank you for any insight.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 25, 2022, 02:39 PM.

Originally posted by photonut04 View Post
    Just installed Kubuntu 20.04
    But you're posting in 22.04. Which is it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowdog,

posting in 22.04.
      This is one of those times that it's not acting up on me.

Comment

Since freezing is not a common complaint I think your suspicion that the HD is going bad is probably a good one. Now would be a good time to replace it with a 500GB SSD. The 500GB Crucial for $53 is working perfectly for me!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Since freezing is not a common complaint I think your suspicion that the HD is going bad is probably a good one. Now would be a good time to replace it with a 500GB SSD. The 500GB Crucial for $53 is working perfectly for me!
          Thanks.
          No Amazon for me. I'm in Ukraine, and it would take ages to get here with logistics all messed due to war. Going to look for one locally. As soon as I scratch up some cash.

Here we go again. Everything on the desktop is sluggish and the drive light is constantly blinking. Bummer.

Comment

Update.

Figured it out. Boot sector, or whatever it's called, on my hd is dead. The good news is, the drive still can be used for storing files.

Ended up buying cheep 120 Gb SSD. Everything working smoothly and the system is flying. Absolutely love what the Kubuntu team have done with Plasma.

Thank youfor your replies.

Comment

Working...
            X