Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jammy install issues and how I resolved them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jammy install issues and how I resolved them.

This is my 5th attempt to install Jammy, just gave up in the previous instances. I documented the steps as I did them this time. Solutions are bolded.

New installation of Kubuntu 22.04

Hardware: Strix mobo i7 intel 16gb ram Installed to external Sabrent M2 dock with Kingston 250gb M2 drive with Windows 10 previously installed. Other drives: M2 2Tb sabrent on mobo,
    4 tb data spinning drive formatted to ext4,
    5 tb media spinning drive formatted to NTFS.

1) Kubuntu 22.04 first install screen set language UK English
    1. Software page normal install, other options download updates greyed out install 3rd party software ticked
    2. 2 mins later disk partitioning screen. Chose manual as partitions already set up. I use a 47gb for system / and 82gb for /home no swap bootloader on /dev/sdh
    3. region is set to New York reset to London
    4. My details: then require password to login...system installs.
    5. reboot and remove install media. The reboot takes an inordinate amount of time thermal Daemon service 1:30 mins to stop
    6. Reboot fails to produce a login screen. Press ctrl-alt-f2 login and do a startx presents a screen in 1024x768 resolution. checking driver manager shows nouveaux driver in use. When attempting to select nvidia drivers error pk-client-error-quark: unmet dependencies nvidia 510 conflicts nvidia-kernel-common so selected nvidia metapackage 510 (proprietary tested) Rebooted.
    7. On reboot presented with login screen 640x480 entering password gives a 1920x1080 screen. Fonts set to huge size, settings->tick force font dpi to 96. Display shows as it should be then. However, any system application still has huge fonts. In order to rectify this I will have to enable A GRAPHICAL LOGIN FOR ROOT. Change /etc/pam.d/sddm add # to the auth lines at the top of the file.
    8. Run a pkexec command for dolphin in a terminal to ease the pain. login as root with a graphical interface and reset the display dpi setting. Make the changes and logout
    9. Login as your user and continue setting up the system to your liking. The login screen will still be set to 640x480 resolution, to workaround this set up an xorg.conf file with these entries: from the konsole as root run the command "nvidia-xconfig" That will create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file for editing as below:

Section "Monitor"

option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"

option "DPI" "100 x 100"

That's it finally all working I can install Mythtv....but that's another story.......

OK 2 years on, many updates and system eventually became unusable. Full re-install from scratch with the latest updated newly-downloaded .ISO file.
    Finally got everything installed and working, and now after the latest updates a new issue that I have not seen reported anywhere.
    The system is all working and running, I can have several programmes running and the system suddenly - without any warning - just drops to a login screen. I re-login and carry on until the next dropout. It seems to be random but it has never done this when Mythtv frontend is running.

Comment

You did not tell us much about the hardware (or software) you are using - just some examples:
      which Nvidia card, driver version and installed from where, Kubuntu version (Plasma and Frameworks and with or without Backports), some possibly relevant excerpts from journalctl or other log files, special and relevant individual system modifications, X11 or Wayland
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
      X