Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your computer is rather new/powerfull and technically up-to-date the issue with snaps starting slowly is not that annoying in my experience.
    But if your computer is 10 or more years old (like many of the computers I do service for) it is indeed. E.g. no problem at all to run Kubuntu 22.04 on a twelve year old middle-class computer (it is no "racing-car experience" of course and should have at least 4GB of memory), but snaps have to be disabled then!
    Other issues with snaps in general left aside considering only starting speed…

My preferred way to install Firefox in Kubuntu 22.04 after purging snapd* and blocking snaps in /etc/apt/preferences.d/ is from the Mozilla binaries:
    https://wiki.debian.org/Firefox
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 24, 2022, 09:40 AM. Reason: typos
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      As to Snap FF, I've also found it to be INCREDIBLY SLOW to launch initially; up to 30+ seconds! It's so slow in fact, that I sometimes find myself asking if it died during the launch process. I don't know how any developer (of Snap packages) can find this even remotely acceptable.

I have to agree. I'm using it because I like the sandbox format it is in. However, I've even tried launching it at times and it doesn't start. I don't realize that as I do have to wait many many seconds to see it pop up that it is loading. After that I have to click again and most times it will start, other times I have to click a 3rd time. You can see my system specs to say, it has to be SNAP that is the issue.

Comment

it has to be SNAP that is the issue
        I was told recently that having issues with snap is not real and is simply ideological. I too hate the fact that it takes 30+ seconds to load on reboot, and 15-20 after that on my machine. Very slow. Firefox binary installed manually starts instantly. Go figure.
        Last edited by rab0171610; Jun 24, 2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Not too mention my install is a fresh install and new profile, no hold overs, so, yeah, go figure.

Comment

Working...
          X